Honored Contributor

I was out this AM assessing my roses & how they have leafed out. One own root rose new to my garden has this disease. I now have to remove the entire plant (all the roots). 

See my photo -- it's the stem on the right side. It has the typical red 'witch's broom' formations. I see no excessive prickles, but not all symptoms manifest on all roses.

03FDB56E-87F3-4EA6-893C-FF0558453760.jpeg

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

OMG!  Now if you knew me personally, you'd know the mysterious way my brain works...(good luck with that one).

So, when I saw the title I thought, "OMG!  Now there's another disease people are suffering from.  Where do they get these names!"

I have the brownest (made up word) thumb(s) you've ever seen.

I always say after I've bought the flowers, "Sushhhh!  Do you hear that?"  The clerk says, "No...what is it".  I say, "That's the sound of these plants saying...'Please don't let her buy me...I don't want to die'".

I am interested though because I have a few roses that sorta are alive.

Esteemed Contributor

Lacking information like - how old the plant is - where you live - a picture of the entire rose bush (tall or short) - I would

cut the plant back - trim it up - feed it and give it a chance to grow back (new growth) and watch to see what happens - before I sweat to dig the roots up.

Kind of like a plant science project

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Lacking information like - how old the plant is - where you live - a picture of the entire rose bush (tall or short) - I would

cut the plant back - trim it up - feed it and give it a chance to grow back (new growth) and watch to see what happens - before I sweat to dig the roots up.

Kind of like a plant science project

It is a year in my garden. Came from Florida. It got about 3' X 2' last year. Lots of nice apricot flowers. It is a small shrub rose. 

Further looking at the plant I saw smaller stems affected closer to the ground. The thing to do especially if you have other roses near by, which I do on 3 sides is to completely remove the plant & all the roots. I did that an hour ago. 

Just wanted to post the picture because it will alert people as to what to look for. BTW, the rose had leafed out completely & I was able to compare, plus knew what it looked like last year. 

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 , in the spring, it's wise to remove any browned or blackened stems on roses or stems that haven't leafed out. By now you should be able to see what to prune away. Always to green growth & remove any broken or crossing stems in the center of your roses.

Esteemed Contributor

@JustJazzmom PROBLEM SOLVED.......................happy summer

Super Contributor

I HATE ROSETTE DISEASE ! ! !

I had several rose bushes for years that I just adored, but they developed Rose Rosette Disease. Of course I dug them out and threw them away - but it broke my heart and I haven't had roses since.

Now I grow Hydrangeas...

Trusted Contributor

Wow!  Have never seen that on any rose ever.  Maybe it is a regional thing.  It is so dry where I live that roses rarely get any diseases.

Super Contributor

Here is a complete description with pics on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksNlwfdM9ZQ

This video is from Texas and I live in Oregon, so apparently it can happen anywhere. It seems like the Covid of Roses - discovered in 2011 - the only cure is to pull up the plant and all of the roses around it and throw them out. I never had the heart to replant mine. It's so awful, I'll probably never have roses again - and I've had roses all my life. Mine were also own root roses...

Super Contributor

I feel for you.  At one time I had 17 knock-out roses, all around my house but mostly in my back yard.  Now I have 3 left, and weirdly, they are all yellow ones.  Made me sick to dig them up and throw them away, never mind the cost aspect, but I had no choice.  Haven't bought another rose since.

Now I grow crepe myrtle and hydrangeas.