Esteemed Contributor

Root Blast and Miracle Gro in Potted Patio Plants?

I usually use Miracle Gro mixed with water to fertilize my flowers and veggies, and I use the Miracle Gro potting mix for my patio plants. This year I bought Root Blast to see if it could do better than Miracle Gro in my veggie garden. My question is, should I still use Miracle Gro potting mix for my patio plants and suppliment with root blast?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Root Blast and Miracle Gro in Potted Patio Plants?

I garden but no expert.  I watched the Q presentation recently (and had the same question) on Root Blast and then I went to Google.  From what I read - RB is great for transplanting young - little new plants.  I also use Miracle Grow dirt w/fertilizer in it and then after planting add the crystals - slow fert - around the plants to dissolve w/rain and watering.  If the plant is already established - I wouldn't waste money on RB.   Let's see what others say....................

Respected Contributor

Every year I plant Cottage Farms Sunpatiens in big pots along our front walk. I use MiracleGro potting soil and Root Blast. Set up your pots as usual. Before putting your plant in the pot, sprinkle a scoop of Root Blast into the hole, then finish planting your plant. Sometimes, my rosemary will survive from one year to another. When this happens, I clear out the leaves that have fallen into the pot, then sprinkle a scoop or two of Root Blast around the rosemary. It works like a charm! BTW, Root Blast doesn’t expire as long as you store it in a dry place. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Eileen in Virginia Thanks for your directions. That is what what I was planning to do, but I wasn't sure it would'nt burn the roots by using two fertilizers so to speak.

Respected Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@Eileen in Virginia Thanks for your directions. That is what what I was planning to do, but I wasn't sure it would'nt burn the roots by using two fertilizers so to speak.

You’re welcome. I’ve never had a problem combining the two. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PA Mom-mom@Eileen in Virginia@fthunt  Root Blast is the only fertilizer I use on potted plants, shrubs, flower beds . . . any living plant in my yard! It always works beautifully. And, yes, I use it with Miracle Grow potting soil. Even though the directions say to use it once each year, I usually sprinkle some on all plantings, shrubs and bushes every couple of months. Does not hurt them if followed with a gentle sprinkle or rain. Has worked for me for many years. I just ordered my third set of two jars! They last about three years between orders. Great stuff. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

I'm another h-u-g-e fan of Root Blast.  Use RB when I plant, and Miracle Grow the remainder of the season.  I've been mixing RB and Miracle Grow for decades with no problems.  Go for it!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

Miracle Gro Potting Mix is good for potted plants.  For outdoor potted plants (perennial), I'd add compost every year after the first; I wouldn't use Miracle Gro fertilizer because the chemical salts in Miracle Gro will build up and kill the plants eventually.  For plants in the ground, I'd use Miracle Gro on annuals and Root Blast on perennials; or Root Blast on both, whichever is more economical.  For indoor potted plants, I'd use Miracle Gro - sparingly - but with the same warning about chemical salts.  Indoor plants should be repotted with fresh potting soil from time to time.  I've read that epsom salts applied to the soil will help eliminate the built-up salts.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks to all of you for the valuable information! I'm pretty sure I now have a plan. If there are any other ideas, I'm open to them.

Esteemed Contributor

I like Root Blast when transplanting or planting those little annuals from flats. After the initial planting, I switch to Spray N Grow for extra nutrition around my garden combined with weekly feeding of Miracle Gro plant foods.  I always have great results!

PS: Spray N Grow is terrific for soaking your new Cottage Farms and Roberta's bulbs overnight before planting.