Valued Contributor

Mid April a robin built a nest above my back porch door.  Then the temperatures went down to freezing at night and she never returned.  I checked the nest for eggs and there were none.  I was waiting to see if she would return but today a small wren or sparrow started renovating that nest!  She was behind it, below it rearranging various twigs and grasses.  It went from a one story to a two story!  Love watchin* the activity.

Honored Contributor

Re: Robin’s nest renovation

I love nature and birds.  That would be fascinating to watch.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

If your new little bird has long tail feathers that tip upward, it's a wren. If she has a short tail, she's a sparrow. Such fun watching them, and good for that little bird to take advantage of the nest!

Respected Contributor

It may be nice to watch, I agree...but sparrows and wrens are known to be invasive and either destroy eggs or even kill the bird.  They are known to take over bluebird nests and Robin's.  If you look it up, it's advisable to remove the sparrow nests so the other bird such as bluebirds don't become endangered, as they were at one time.  Really up to the landlord (lol)  to do what you feel comfortable with.    For me personally, since I have bluebird nests and babies I would do what I can to protect them. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dazlin wrote:

It may be nice to watch, I agree...but sparrows and wrens are known to be invasive and either destroy eggs or even kill the bird.  They are known to take over bluebird nests and Robin's.  If you look it up, it's advisable to remove the sparrow nests so the other bird such as bluebirds don't become endangered, as they were at one time.  Really up to the landlord (lol)  to do what you feel comfortable with.    For me personally, since I have bluebird nests and babies I would do what I can to protect them. 

@Gabidog   @Dazlin   It's only house sparrows and house wrens that destroy bluebird eggs and nests.  Carolina Wrens are fun little birds to have around.  They're my favorite birds.  I'm attatching pictures of both birds that destroy nests.    The difference between a house wren (bad and pictured) and Carolina Wren (good) is that the Carolina Wren has a white line above the eye.

9BE0165A-9BEF-4D03-9C6A-A5F22B66C22F.jpeg7D26BE2C-4EE5-4710-AEBC-3481E8EA8921.jpeg

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

I cannot wait for my little wrens to come back. The winter wrens have been here all winter. I do not know where they build, but the little tiny ones come back every year to build in the 2 houses we have. I think it is only one pair and he builds in both and she choses which one to raise their family. Then they switch houses after the first babies are gone. Right now, I am watching sparrows tear out the nest they worked all winter adding to. It is a house hanging under and awning by my computer. I guess they are spring cleaning. I know they are not liked by some, but we have watched this pair over a few years and they are so loving to each other and such great parents. They have 4 families over the summer. Call me crazy, but last year they had one that was late growing due to being pushed back I guess. The female left for a long time along with 3 babies. I was concerned something happened to her. The male kept taking care of the one left. Then one day, I saw a flower sprig tucked on the side of  the house and that day the female came back. I still wonder if the male did not place it there to welcome her back. Animals are so much smarter than we give credit to.

Respected Contributor

@NickNack ...good info...thank you!