Contributor

Why do they keep bringing Roberta's back?  The reviews average 2 1/2 stars with last item I saw had 24 5 starts and 112 1 stars???

Honored Contributor

Re: Roberta's - why bother??

I think the answer to why is that almost everything sells out.  I'm watching right now - over 1100 of just one item.

Almost all the callers are repeat customers who apparently don't write reviews.

Respected Contributor

Same with Cottage Farms - they send out such puny plants, they die the first year - I will never buy plants off of the Q ever again - I will buy bigger healthier plants from my local businesses.  That way you can see what you are getting.  I got hydrangeas from Cottage Farm two years ago - they were about 1 inch big - died within days of planting them. 

Trusted Contributor

I've ordered from both Cottage Farms and Roberta's and have never had any problems.

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

Same with Cottage Farms - they send out such puny plants, they die the first year - I will never buy plants off of the Q ever again - I will buy bigger healthier plants from my local businesses.  That way you can see what you are getting.  I got hydrangeas from Cottage Farm two years ago - they were about 1 inch big - died within days of planting them. 

@hoosieroriginal

I had the same experience, if they weren't already mostly dead when they arrived and didn't even live a month.

And anything that was supposed to bear fruit, never did.

Like you, lesson learned.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The plants shown on set are several years old.  With the exception of annuals, the plants you order from Roberta and Cottage Farms have to be treated like an ICU patient the first season or two.  I have had good luck, but it's a result of patience and not expecting much in year one.  The hydrangeas are agood example. The first two seasons my Cottage Farms hydrangeas were small with few leaves and no blooms.  I hid them behind geraniums.  Last year they finally showed some significant growth and blooms near the end of the season.  In this fourth season, I'm hoping for even more growth and blooms so that I do not to have to hide them behind geraniums anymore.  If this fails I'm going to let the rabbits have them.  

Honored Contributor

It is very tempting when you are anxiously awaiting spring to order from Cottage Farms and Robertas.  I have not had great luck with their plants.  I live in the rainy PNW and we do not have a hot summer.  I usually will buy one thing from them and then get everything else at a local nursery where the plants thrive in the rain. 

Respected Contributor

I have had very little luck with either one of these growers but I must say I ordered thornless black berry plants from Cottage farms and they produced tons of blackberries. All the rest of the trees, strawberries, flowers a waste of money.

Esteemed Contributor

I am glad I came upon this thread....I was looking at some of the plants....namely the small tomato ones ..but if both places have such poor reviews...(which i hadn't looked at yet) then I am not going to waste my money...Thanks everyone....

Honored Contributor

@circles wrote:

I am glad I came upon this thread....I was looking at some of the plants....namely the small tomato ones ..but if both places have such poor reviews...(which i hadn't looked at yet) then I am not going to waste my money...Thanks everyone....

If you really love and want the small tomato varieties, write down the names and shop locally.

I have had a nice yield of Sun Gold and Black Cherry tomatoes. The Black Cherry can 'volunteer' and they come true to the original I planted several years ago.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼