Respected Contributor

Roberta's Multi Color Everblooming Disocactus

M49072 -- This is my first garden purchase from QVC.  I am very house plant-challenged but thought I would take a chance on this one because it appears to be low maintenance (and colorful!).  My plants arrived in very good shape -- unlike the bulk of the reviewers thus far.

I am hoping to connect with others who have grown this plant or who are trying to grow it now.  Tips? Tricks? I hope to see a bloom or two in the near future.  TIA.

Honored Contributor

Re: Roberta's Multi Color Everblooming Disocactus

Unfortunately, Robert's is famous for selling exotic plants imported from locations like South Africa and Madagascar which are adapted specifically to those locations.  These plants are difficult for the average grower to have them thrive in a home enviroment.  It's a shame QVC allows them to be sold as in most cases the customer is being set up for failure.  I hope you can find someone to help.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Thanks @Kachina624

Funny you should mention the exotic nature of this (and other) Roberta's plants.  I have gone 100% native plants in my yard precisely because they thrive and are low maintenance.  My attraction to this plant was that it would be 'different' and hopefully easy to grow.  Because it had never crossed my mind to buy a plant from QVC, I didn't do a lot of research regarding buyer experience.

Oh well.  It was offered at a good price at the time.  And so far it seems to be doing well in its sunny little spot in the family room.

Honored Contributor

@islandgrrl wrote:

Thanks @Kachina624

Funny you should mention the exotic nature of this (and other) Roberta's plants.  I have gone 100% native plants in my yard precisely because they thrive and are low maintenance.  My attraction to this plant was that it would be 'different' and hopefully easy to grow.  Because it had never crossed my mind to buy a plant from QVC, I didn't do a lot of research regarding buyer experience.

Oh well.  It was offered at a good price at the time.  And so far it seems to be doing well in its sunny little spot in the family room.

@islandgrrl  Don't be discouraged.  If Roberta's was so bad, they would not be selling on QVC.  Though I don't grow houseplants, my green thumb is in the garden, I have success with both Roberta's and Cottage Farms plants.  Just follow the directions in the pamphlet and the plant should be fine. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@mousiegirl

You are always so encouraging!  I appreciate you! Heart

I have had this plant(Disocatus)for 3 years. This is the first year it has bloomed. Beautiful yellow sparkler-like flower.(Napoleon Bonaparte)Very pretty!! Don't give up on them! 

Occasional Contributor

I definitely AGREE...2X FAILED with these

Respected Contributor

@Debbiedoubtfire wrote:

I have had this plant(Disocatus)for 3 years. This is the first year it has bloomed. Beautiful yellow sparkler-like flower.(Napoleon Bonaparte)Very pretty!! Don't give up on them! 

@Debbiedoubtfire 

I am going into my third year with this plant.  I hope I have your luck.  I have considered giving up on it but you have inspired me!