New Contributor

Roberta’s Meyer Lemon Tree

I always loved watching the presentations on air of Roberta’s Meyer Lemon Tree.  So finally my mom got me one as a gift, 2 years ago next May.  I realized because I have to plant it in a pot and move it in during the winter, it would take a while to grow.  I did not expect fruit the first year because I knew it would need time to root and grow.  Finally I got some blooms this summer that stayed on long enough and developed into fruit.  I was so excited! I really took care of this tree and did all I could to make it strong and healthy, which it is.  Finally, after 5 months the Meyer Lemon was ready for picking.  I am so disappointed in this product.  On air, they squeeze the Meyer Lemons and then drink a cup of the juice, they describe it as a sweet fruit between an orange and a lemon.  It is so sour you cannot even process the taste.  Not good at all.  I’m very upset with this plant.  It’s so bitter, I don’t know what you could even use these lemons in without having to add a pound of sugar.  Highly upset with this product that I was strongly looking forward to growing. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Roberta’s Meyer Lemon Tree

Do you think it could be because it's the first time it's bore fruit?   Just wondering..  I would try to call Roberta's and ask why the fruit is so sour...

Respected Contributor

I live in California where many Meyer lemons are grown. They have a smooth skin, usually smaller than ordinary lemons and have a mild flavor, less sour than other lemons. Perhaps the first year they are sour or the root stock produced the lemon or the Q ddn't send you a Meyer lemon. They really are lovely lemons.

Esteemed Contributor

My neighbor grows this tree and it is very much what the OP describes.  Has had fruit several years.

Not at all like Chessylady describes!

Respected Contributor

Sorry re your disappointment after all that work and waiting.

Welcome to the boards.

Honored Contributor

I would call Roberta's or contact the Walleins on FB.  You're right about their presentations - they are very convincing!

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry - but not surprised.  Nothing in the fruit/veggie line of R's has turned out as promised.  Tomatoes - strawberries - cukes - all duds.  After years of buying Cottage Farms products - and Roberta - I'm done. (many flower plants not much better either). Promises Promises Promises

Valued Contributor

love to hear about it