Honored Contributor

@tl98466 wrote:

Just received the Hardy Gerbers from Roberta's today - what a disappointment! It looks as if they were frozen! I've never had good luck with Roberta's stuff, but I got sucked in with presentation. Never again! I'm very disappointedIMG_2014.jpg

@tl98466  Were they dry when received?  I would keep them in the shade and see if they perk up.  The patio vege plants and strawberry plants I recently received are very nice.

Respected Contributor

@Another new name Sue wrote:

Surely you'll be in touch with them for a refund.

I've never had any luck with gerbers.  They are pretty though!

@Another new name Sue  I got Gerber Daisies last year, not sure if it was Robertas or Cottage Farms, they grew beautifully, bloomed their little heads off and they are popping up through the soil now....planted on the warm side of the house with cone flowers and elephant ears and get afternoon sun. I am in Zone 7, Maryland.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Anything from Cottage Farms or Roberta's is a gamble.  Once they let it go, it's a ****** shoot on the transfer from origination, warehouse transfer(s), truck conditions (UPS), and arrival. Sometimes they sit over the weekend.

I am an intermediate-level gardener and the only botanicals  I will purchase that have to be shipped are bulbs and rhizomes/roots.  These will survive the long and winding delivery conditions!  Plants with leaves, and most saplings........no way!

QVC is great about either replacing or refunding plant loss.  

Super Contributor

The soil was damp; the leaves slimey, as if they had been frozen.

Super Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion - we'll see if they perk up; as someone with a "green thumb", I don't have much hope for these little ones.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Roberta's Hardy Gerbers

[ Edited ]

I got a notice 5 days ago that the perennials I had ordered from a reliable catalog company had shipped that day.   Since then, we've had below freezing temps, snow and freezing rain.  I'm sure when those perennials finally arrive, they will be frozen and probably dead.   This is not the fault of the plant catalog company.  It's the lousy weather and the shipping transfers.  Of course, if I'd receive those plants today, I wouldn't be able to plant them outside because, as I said, it's freezing out there.

But when we all ordered plants (from wherever we ordered them) back in February, did we think we'd have new snow in April?  Nope.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

Re: Roberta's Hardy Gerbers

[ Edited ]

@tototwo wrote:

I got a notice 5 days ago that the perennials I had ordered from a reliable catalog company had shipped that day.   Since then, we've had below freezing temps, snow and freezing rain.  I'm sure when those perennials finally arrive, they will be frozen and probably dead.   This is not the fault of the plant catalog company.  It's the lousy weather and the shipping transfers.  Of course, if I'd receive those plants today, I wouldn't be able to plant them outside because, as I said, it's freezing out there.

But when we all ordered plants (from wherever we ordered them) back in February, did we think we'd have new snow in April?  Nope.

@tototwo  Companies are supposed to ship at the proper planting time and take weather conditions into consideration.  I have received plants during the hottest week and of course, they did not survive, wondered why on earth the company would send them at that time.  I received a replacement.