Respected Contributor

Roberta's Gardens Gerbera Daisies

Did anyone buy them?  I bought two sets.  I thought they were kind of expensive - $20 for 3 plants.  But I went for it because they're supposedly "hardy" perennials plus they're colorful and I fell for the hype.   I planted them the third week of April.  Two of them did not even grow.  The other 4 are already dead.  To Roberta's credit they did replace them per their warranty.  I dunno though - I don't have too much faith in these daisies.  I've had Shasta daisies in another area for years and they spread and flower like crazy -I separate them every year and replant them or give them to people.

Honored Contributor

Re: Roberta's Gardens Gerbera Daisies

Gerberas, generally speaking, like a lot of sun.  I don't have good luck with them probably because I don't have any spots that are sunny enough.  Then they get powdery mildew and it's the beginning of the end.

Honored Contributor

I learned , to buy from local green houses.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

@FranandZoe Same here.  Purchased two sets as gift for neighbor.  They've been in ground for almost two months and are barely hanging on.  They are losing leaves and only one plant had a single flower.  A month after I ordered, I saw absolutely healthy, beautiful blooming Gerbera daisies at one of our local green houses for $3.50 a plant.  They weren't advertised as "hardy".  But to be honest, I have my doubts about the success of these daisies for those of us in the more northern zones.

Anyway, I am considering asking for a replacement.  Can I ask how you go about that?  Do I contact customer service at QVC or do I call Roberta's directly?  I have my order info on line, but all other paperwork was delivered to neighbor and I am sure she discarded it.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Allegheny wrote:

@FranandZoe Same here.  Purchased two sets as gift for neighbor.  They've been in ground for almost two months and are barely hanging on.  They are losing leaves and only one plant had a single flower.  A month after I ordered, I saw absolutely healthy, beautiful blooming Gerbera daisies at one of our local green houses for $3.50 a plant.  They weren't advertised as "hardy".  But to be honest, I have my doubts about the success of these daisies for those of us in the more northern zones.

Anyway, I am considering asking for a replacement.  Can I ask how you go about that?  Do I contact customer service at QVC or do I call Roberta's directly?  I have my order info on line, but all other paperwork was delivered to neighbor and I am sure she discarded it.

Allegheny - I emailed Robertas.  customerservice@robertasinc.com or 1 800 428 9726

And I agree - I don't necessarily believe that these would be hardy perennials here.

By the way - Robertas initially told me they were out of stock and they wouldn't be able to replace them until next spring.  Then I received them a few days later.  I checked their website and they do have them.

Honored Contributor

I live in Zone 7b and I have had Gerber's come back, but they're not the plant they were the previous year, and each year they would get smaller until they no longer came back.

Honored Contributor

@FranandZoe wrote:

Did anyone buy them?  I bought two sets.  I thought they were kind of expensive - $20 for 3 plants.  But I went for it because they're supposedly "hardy" perennials plus they're colorful and I fell for the hype.   I planted them the third week of April.  Two of them did not even grow.  The other 4 are already dead.  To Roberta's credit they did replace them per their warranty.  I dunno though - I don't have too much faith in these daisies.  I've had Shasta daisies in another area for years and they spread and flower like crazy -I separate them every year and replant them or give them to people.

@FranandZoe   Shasta daisies are not the same as Gerbera.  When I had Gerbera, I had them in pots and they did well.

Respected Contributor

@FranandZoe Thank you so much for the information.  I will get in touch with them Monday.  If they are still able to replace this year, I just pot them  up for the neighbor.  We're in zone 6a and even if they are hardy I think it she would have to heavily mulch them for the winter.  She isn't a dedicated gardener, so I rather doubt that would occur.

Respected Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

@FranandZoe Thank you so much for the information.  I will get in touch with them Monday.  If they are still able to replace this year, I just pot them  up for the neighbor.  We're in zone 6a and even if they are hardy I think it she would have to heavily mulch them for the winter.  She isn't a dedicated gardener, so I rather doubt that would occur.

Allegheny you're very welcome!  That's very nice of you to do that for your neighbor.

I'm zone 6b.

Honored Contributor

I've kept Gerberas alive for several years here in South Jersey, but only in my unheated coldframe which buys plants there some extra protection. Out in the real garden, they likely wouldn't survive.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!