Contributor

Re: Roberta's Gardens Gerbera Daisies

Put my Gerber daises ordered this year in a large pot on my deck.

They have 2 very large blooms now-beautiful-just praying that they will winter over and be perennials as promised!

Respected Contributor

@redheadmimi 

When I talked with Roberta's this morning about replacements, the representative advised that in her opinion that the Gerbera daisies are not hardy perennials for all zones.  She advised that in her zone in Indiana she pots hers and brings them in to the garage in the late fall to winter over.  I don't know what zone you live in.  I think anything over zone 6 you may be able to leave the pot outside in the winter.

Honored Contributor

I would be concerned, even here in zone 7b, about leaving pots outside unless you are certain the plant is hardy to a much colder zone.  One reason is that the root system in a pot is subjected to colder temps than the root system of plants in the ground.  I sometimes will leave a plant outside in a pot, but bring inside when the overnight temps will dip below the minimum temp for that plant.  I have also been putting them, pot and all, in a large styrofoam conatainer to protect the roots and poke holes in the bottom of the styrofoam for drainage.  I do bring a few in the garage to overwinter, but those would not have been hardy anyways.

If leaving outside, you also need to make sure it is planted in a freeze-proof pot.  

Also, I'm a big hosta gardener and am on some hosta groups on Facebook.  Hostas are much hardier than my zone and many people in colder zones do plant hosta in pots and leave outside, but most of them turn the pots on their sides over winter.  Apparently, this prevents rot.  I'm planning on trying this with one of mine this year.

Contributor

I bought a set of 6 this spring and I put them in containers--3 plants per large pot.  I'm in zone 7a-7b.  My daisies are doing great, but I'm undecided on how to store them this winter so they will bloom again.   I had rather keep them in pots, but not sure if I water the pots during the winter.  I'll probably move the pots into a shed or on the porch for the winter. Fingers crossed that they will come back. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]
I copied this information.  I hope it is useful to you.

"Gerbera daisies are a frost-sensitive perennial. In areas with mild, frost-free winters, the plants grow and bloom year-round. The gerbera daisy can tolerate a brief dip in temperature down to 30 degrees Fahrenheit, or 2 degrees below freezing, but any frost will damage the leaves and flowers and prolonged freezing weather will kill the plant. In areas with cold winters, you can grow this cheerful plant as an annual or keep it in pots in a greenhouse for the winter."

"A greenhouse, porch or other indoor area makes a suitable winter home for Gerbera daisies grown in pots. In spring through fall, the plants thrive with monthly fertilizing, but in winter it's best to reduce fertilizer applications to every other month. The plants benefit from drying out slightly between waterings too. Reducing the water and fertilizer allows potted Gerbera daisies to go slightly dormant and reduces the risk or crown and root rot. You can keep the pots in a protected area where the temperature remains above freezing through the winter and then put them out again in the spring."

I have overwintered geraniums, but really didn't have to bother with them the entire winter.  I am not sure about the gerbera daisies; ie. do they need to be in a sunny area, how often to water.  May-be someone else will chime in.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just wanted to follow up from my post last year when I purchased Roberta's Gerbera Daisies.  Last spring I put them in pots and after the first frost I just cut them back and placed the pots by the side of a shed I have in the back  yard and they stayed there all winter neglected.   I'm in zone 7a-7b. Right now I wished you could see how lovely they are!  I have at least 10 blooms in both pots.  I am SO happy I purchased these.  

Contributor

I'm following up on my third summer of Roberta's Gardens Gerbera Daisies.  They are looking great in the same pots I planted them in back in 2019.  I have even more flowers this year.  I treat them like geraniums, I only water when they are dry and I keep them dead headed. After our first frost I cut them level to the soil and they stay in same pots outside by a shed.  I don't water them at all after our 1st frost (usually 1st week in November) and throughout the winter.  When I see any green on them in the spring, I start watering them again. I use Richard Jackson-now Barbara King-Bloosom Booster on them once a week (or every two weeks if I slack.) 

New Contributor

i bought them in 19, and they were said to be 'winter hardy'.... well '1' of em came back, the others were DEAD- bought some last year and put em in pots, and over wintered them in my garage - 3 out of 6 came back this season... i give em 1/2 of a star