Esteemed Contributor

Sorry, but I need to complain.  I'm not angry - I feel I learned a valuable lesson.

Last spring (2018) I ordered a Roberta's tree peony from QVC.  It was sickly when it arrived and, despite my best efforts, it died.  Definitely no sign of it this year.   This was my first and last order from Roberta's.  I paid $40 to QVC for this tree and had hoped to get my money back.  I called QVC.  They told me they didn't get involved with plant exchanges/refunds.  They told me to contact Roberta's Customer Service, which is understandable.  

Roberta's CS rep told me they do not give money refunds.  None.  I could choose a plant from their website as an exchange.  However, even tho I paid $40 for this tree from QVC, Roberta's website only charged $30 for this same tree last year, so they would only give me an exchange that was $30 or less.  Roberta's no longer carry the tree I had ordered, so I had to choose a different plant.   (BTW, Roberta's website doesn't charge for shipping or taxes.  If you see a Roberta's item on QVC that you want to buy, check Roberta's website first.  Your item might be cheaper if you buy it from them directly.)

Anyway, the Roberta's rep gave me a list of plants that I could choose as an exchange for the peony tree that died.  All were in the $25 range.  I picked one and it will be mailed to me in a couple weeks.  But I feel like I got cheated out of over $10.  Also, they're sending me a plant I don't really want.  And will they send me another sickly plant?

No more mail order plants for me.  Thanks for letting me vent.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

Re: Roberta's Exchange Policy

I think replacing a plant that didn't work out with another of the same type is reasonable.  But if another of the same type isn't available, they ought to refund your money.  If Roberta's can't make the refund, then QVC ought to - after all, you bought the plant from QVC. 

If QVC Customer Service won't make this right, then I don't blame you - no more TV plants!

Honored Contributor

I would call qvc customer service back with this information..That doesn’t seem like a fair resolution to your problem.If there isn’t a way to honor the guarantee satisfactorily then qvc should not do business with Roberta’s.

Honored Contributor

I have ordered from both Roberta's and Cottage Farms.

While it may be considered 'unfair', the return/exchange policy was clearly written and included with my purchase.  Once the QVC 30 days ends....we are stuck with the vendors terms.

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife @I have watched Roberta’s shows and I have never heard them say that if they don’t have your claimed item in stock they will replace it with a lower priced item that you may or may not want.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@dex 

This is on the item page and I have seen it up on the TV screen during presentations, also for Cottage Farms.  So I knew what their guarantee was b4 I ordered.  It also was in a print brochure included in everything I have ever ordered.

It doesn't really address the price issue the OP had problems with though....

Roberta's "Gotta Grow" Guarantee

When you are happy, we are happy. Roberta's assures your satisfaction for its perennials for 1 year and its annuals for 90 days from time of shipment. If for any reason your results don't match your expectations Roberta's will replace it with a similar or comparable plant at no charge. If your replacement is not available or it is too late in the season to ship, it will ship the following season.

Honored Contributor

There are many other companies that sell tree peonies that aren’t sickly. Try Klehm Songsparrow Nursery. They stand by their products. Tree peonies do not get cut to ground level like herbaceous peonies or the ITOH peonies. 

I hope you find a replacement.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

I have not had good experience with them either.  I bought a tree rose from them.  I came "dormant" aka dead.  The replaced with another one and made sure to tell me that they would only replace once.  Well, that tree rose also came dead.

Then, another time I got DOA trout lillies.  Apparently, they were out of stock, but the next year I did receive a box from them.  But, It did not contain trout lillies.  It contained something called some sort of "daisy" according to the tag.  Besides the fact that trout lillies are meant for shade and daisies need sun, these "daisies" looked exactly like weeds growing in the yard.  I threw them out, and I'm done with Roberta's.

I've had mixed results from Cottage Farms, but I have at least had more good plants than bad.  I have some really nice Chinese Lilacs from them.  And one of a pair of Clivias also survived and bloomed, although part of that death could be on me killing it with too much care.

Respected Contributor

I doubt your replacement plant will be any better then the original. I know my replacement tubers Roberta's sent me were worse!  Roberta's is not a quality company.  I don't order from them any more. They s*ck.  I spend my money locally and with companies that I know stand behind their plants. Roberta's doesn't.