Respected Contributor

Re: Roberta's 3-piece Birds, Bees and Butterfly Bou

@RegDen  were you able to contact Robera's for help with the bug issue?

Honored Contributor

If they're aphids, you can just spray them off with a sharp stream of water from the hose.

Cottage Farms and Roberta's ought to give the actual or common names of the plants they sell.  I suspect they don't so you can't look for the same thing elsewhere, online or locally.

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes via email but not as helpful as I'd hoped.

The plant is in a pot since I"m in an apartment.  I've been checking and they have not spread to either of the other two plants.  I goggled and saw some great pointers.  This plant seems to also attrack ants.  I cant seem to get rid of those streaming back and fourth from the plant either.

will try this solution this week, if still bad will have my neibor remove the plant next week.

Thanks all

Regina

Honored Contributor

@RegDen wrote:

The plant is in a pot since I"m in an apartment.  I've been checking and they have not spread to either of the other two plants.  I goggled and saw some great pointers.  This plant seems to also attrack ants.  I cant seem to get rid of those streaming back and fourth from the plant either.

will try this solution this week, if still bad will have my neibor remove the plant next week.

Thanks all

Regina

@RegDen  If you look closely at the ants, you may see them carrying white or black objects on their backs, and these will be aphids, so ants help plants in this regard, as sphids suck the llife out of plants.  It is when they come inside that is not good.

Honored Contributor

@RegDen wrote:

Thanks all

Regina

if you're growing it inside it likely is not getting enough sun to bloom.  Butterfly Weed (Asclepia) needs full sun.  The orange variety is a native and I often see it growing along the side of the road in areas where they don't mow.  

Esteemed Contributor

I bought a couple of those at the garden center last year.  They had lots of the yellow bugs when I bought them.  I made sure each pot had at least one lady bug in it.  The bugs were gone in a couple of days.

Find some ladybugs.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@RegDen wrote:

HELP

This plant never bloomed and it seems to be overrun by these yellow bugs. 

Do i just get rid of the plant?  Or is there a way to get rid of the masive amount of bugs.  Nothing seems to working to keep them at bay.  Have used a few different bug sprays.

Thanks

Regina

@RegDen  They are aphids.  Hre is a link to get rid of them without killing butterflies.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/nov/09/news/la-lh-milkweed-aphids-monarch-butterfly-eggs-20121104