Occasional Visitor

Roberta humming bird vine does it come up in the yard (as I have a trumpet vine that does)

Honored Contributor

Re: Roberta humming bird vine does it come up in the yard (as I have a trumpet vine that does)

If they're selling trumpet vine, people should know it's one of the most invasive plants you can buy.  I know people who have spent years trying to get rid of it.  I once owned a home that had this vine.  It traveled over 25 ft under a cement patio and came up in the small gap between the patio and the floor of the house.  It can even find its way inside a house.  Beware!

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Roberta humming bird vine does it come up in the yard (as I have a trumpet vine that does)

Agree with previous poster - think long and hard before planting a trumpt vine on your property.  With my permission I allowed neighbor to dig up my lawn because the roots had invaded HIS lawn.  The main tap root went down to China I swear!

Beware!

Honored Contributor

Very sneaky and unethical of them to change the name of this invasive pest of a plant.  I looked and it looks like plain old trumpet vine to me.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Is hummingbird vine the same as trumpet vine?  Roberta's shouldn't promote such an invasive plant.

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Is hummingbird vine the same as trumpet vine?  Roberta's shouldn't promote such an invasive plant.

Campsis radicans 'Flamenco'

http://www.americanmeadows.com/trumpet-vine-flamenco

Campsis radicans 'Flava'

http://www.monrovia.com/plant-catalog/plants/677/yellow-trumpet-creeper/

And these were found when I google the cultivar name with the words 'hummingbird vine'

All Roberta's did was add the color to the cultivar name and not list the botanical Latin name. I agree, its very deceptive on their part-- DO NOT BUY-- INVASIVE IN MANY STATES!!

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼