Esteemed Contributor

Has anyone had any luck growing rhubarb in a large pot?

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

No I have not grown it .. but if you do .. a friend of mine added it

to a batch of apple crisp and it was fabulous ......

good luck !!

Trusted Contributor

Only in ground.  Never really thought of a container.  I would think as long as it's a good size container it would be ok.  The area you live in would determine if it would come back year after year. 

If you do container plant please let us know your success!

Esteemed Contributor

@pattypeep  Just in the ground. Never considered rhubarb as a container plant because it is an early plant. Interesting question. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

We have a huge patch of it in our backyard.  Started growing it a three years ago.  Every year it spreads and gets bigger.  I love it with salt!

"Rhubarb plants have big root systems so they do require a decent amount of space to grow. But if you use a container that holds a minimum of 40 litres of compost, you should be fine. In fact, you’ll most likely produce a decent crop."

Esteemed Contributor

@makena@BirkiLady@Jtdmum@Big Joanie  I want to take a chunk from a neighbor's house (she offered it), but don't have any room left in my gardens. I think I may give it a go. Rhubarb does really well in the PNW. Thank you all for your replies.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Trusted Contributor

@pattypeep my sister grows rhubarb in those large half wine barrel planters. Hers grows better than mine that's in the ground. We both live in WA state. Good luck with your rhubarb!

Trusted Contributor

Rhubarb can get pretty big but if you "contain" it in a pot, I think it would probably do ok. If you decide to try it, let us know.

I love rhubarb but mine gto so huge that, when I decided to get rid of it, it took me a couple of days to dig it out; the roots must have been one or two feet deep.

It IS delicious when added to pies, crumbles, etc., but don't EVER eat the leaves: they're toxic. And when you decide to remove some, I've been told to just break off the rib. Never use a knife or any kind of blade; i.e., don't cut if off but break it off. I don't know why but that's what I've been told and that's what I do.

Esteemed Contributor

@FuzzyFace You are correct about breaking the stalks off rather than cutting. I had rhubarb years ago (in the ground) and absolutely love it with strawberries for a pie. My mom always made rhubarb sauce and we kids loved it.

Honored Contributor

DH loves rhubarb stewed with strawberries or in a pie.  We bought some at a farmer's market last week and I prepared it that way.  It's like a pie without the crust and even I like it.

We tried growing it several years ago without success.  I think the rabbits ate it.  We never tried growing it in a container since it's so big and takes so much room in the garden.  Maybe we'll try that though if we can get a huge container.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~