Esteemed Contributor

Replacement Tree Suggestions Wanted

I will soon have two end of life Bradford pear trees removed and am looking for suggestions for replacement trees but I have what may be unreasonable "wants".

I live in far western North Carolina in a sheltered valley at an elevation of about 2300'. Although technically in zone 7a because of my location the conditions are more often than not like zone 7b and 8a. The soil is clay.

I will be planting two trees close enough together to form a canopy over the sidewalk.

I am looking for relatively small shade trees with a small to moderate spread that are light filtering so they can be under planted.

The trees must be strong and study hardwood since they will be placed within 30 feet of my house; no pines, cedars, firs, etc. I don't care about flowering but do not want edible fruit.

I'm allowing myself plenty of time for research as I won't be planting until mid spring but need direction.

Any suggestions that y'all think would fit most of my criteria will be very much appreciated.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Replacement Tree Suggestions Wanted

@Marp, I wonder if you would consider Ivory Silk trees?  I moved into my home 11 years ago.  I planted three of these.  I am in zone 5 (nudging up near 6 in some of the recently reasoned maps).  My soil is clay like also.  These trees are hardy, can take wind and have beautiful white flowers in June.  

@JustJazzmom, our resident Master Gardener, is a good one to give feedback on this.

GoogLe for photos.  In the meantime, I will see if I can find some.  I didn't take many photos this year as we were busy with hardscape projects.

Other favorite ornamental tree is the Satomi Dogwood and I always love red maple, especially Japanese Bloodgood.

come back and tell us what you pick.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom, thank you for your recommendations.  Of the three I am adding the Ivory Silk to my primary list. 

I doubt the Santorni would fare well in my soil, it is anything but rich.  I love the red maple for both its shape and "airiness" but the planting location would keep the trees in full southern sun for more than eight hours a day.  I will, however, keep both on a secondary list.  Who knows, researching both further might just lead to the "perfect" tree.

Esteemed Contributor

@Marp, the Ivory Silk is one tough customer.  I became friends with an experienced nursery woman and she recommended these to me.  She is full of helpful info.  My front yard is a windy location. She told me to plant trees with small leaves because the wind can't catch them as well as it can the trees like oaks that have the big leaves.  Turned out to be great advice.  Good luck!  LM

Honored Contributor

'Ivory Silk' lilac tree is a nice choice but as I have discovered on my property, it can get fungal disease -- some sort of wilt in the wood. I had it professionally treated by an arborist. 

A nice choice is a serviceberry tree or amelanchier canadensis, but seeing you do not want edible fruit is not a go for you.

http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=j290

How about a Kwanzan cherry tree or other cultivar ornamental cherry trees called 'Hally Jolivette' or 'Okame'?

Look at photos online of these cherry trees in bloom.

Another small tree -- under 20' is a Kousa dogwood -- available as either white or rose pink flowered. It has small strawberry sized fruit but is not messy -- I do not see cement stains on my walkway from the Rosabella/Satomi variety I have. 

Look also under Google for electric wire friendly trees -- trees under 20' when mature. 

Hope this gives you a starting point.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@Marp  If I were you I'd go to a GOOD reputable mursery close to you for good suggestions on replacement(s).  Or if you're close to a bigger college/university check in with their Ag Dept or a local Ag Extension dept for suggestions.

Esteemed Contributor

@JustJazzmom, thank you for your suggestions. You are right about the serviceberry. A nice tree but the fruits would attract even more wildlife than I already deal with.

I do have the Kousa dogwood on my primary list. It is a pretty tree and I like the shape. I also like that it does not produce dense shade.

I will look into the cherry trees. Not something I had thought about for the location but they could work.

Your search phrasing will be very helpful. Phrasing is so important in getting the search results I want and electric wire friendly never crossed my mind.

@PINKdogWOOD, unfortunately there isn't a nearby nursey that I would consider "good" but when decision time comes I'll likely leave my comfort zone to travel to one or two that are highly recommended. Ag departments and/or extensions will likely be my final stop before committing to any of my top choices.

I'm glad I've given myself plenty of time for research. The right tree certainly isn't going to be a fast find. So much to consider.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I want to Heart your comments @Marp but my IPad on safari browser lost that capability with an I Pad update.

Wire friendly trees are those that are typically below 20' in height.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@Marp@JustJazzmom@PINKdogWOOD, isn't the Kousa Dogwood similar to Satomi?

Marp, we have very claylike soil.  DH planted our Satomi in a beautiful hole filled with compost and good earth.  We took it almost back to the bare root so I was afraid it might not survive.  Two years later it is doing very well and produces huge flowers for it's size.  DH says it is the best hole on the property🙂.

Next time I find a good location on our property, a Kousa is going in there!

We had Japanese cherry trees on our last property but they got some kind of blight.  The birds love the cheeries.

good luck Marp.  Let us know what you choose.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom, @Marp  The Satomi is a variety of the Kousa.  And don't we love this one??!!  This would be an excellent choice.

A serviceberry which we have in our front yard is a great choice as well.  You do need to know that after it flowers it produces tons of fruit which are (humanly) edible and the birds love them too.  They can be messy when they drop off but if you plant in a yard or woodsy area unlike the fruit dropping on the sidewalk like our's, no problem.  Serviceberry pie, ice cream, jam would be fantastic!