Esteemed Contributor

Remember the two big spruce we lost?

[ Edited ]

In the Christmas storm?  Well, we had the stumps pushed back up.  I had a small garden in the area and I was sure I lost plants.  This cluster sits at the edge of our septic field so some heavy sand got dumped on the garden area.  The edges were very uneven ... as high as a foot off the level ground because of exposed roots.

Here is what it looked like after we had done just a bit of the cleanup.

74DC99E1-64ED-4E99-BE0E-4F8EEFEE9CD0.jpeg

A20F1FCB-7E74-4B67-93E9-28E679093C91.jpeg

I was mourning the the loss of a beautiful Japanese forest grass.  The spot where is was located was buried in sand.

See photo below of area before we lost the trees.  The Japanese forest grass is the yellow grass in the photo.

CC8F44DF-753A-49F5-B568-7F8FBEF23901.jpeg

After some careful finger sifting of sand, look what I found.

4A95BC5F-85F0-42E5-8043-42BA9CD360E2.jpeg

I am hoping this can survive.  It is damaged but I think the roots are still there.

So funny how hard we work to rescue a plant.  I could easily divide one of my other Japanese grasses but I would rather try to bring this one back to life.

Four and a half hours of taking out roots, shaving off edges, laying soil for planting and grass, moving plants.  I had a good sleep last night.  DH did the heavy lifting and the black flies kept us company 🙄!

Here is what it looks like now.  Not done, but better.  I kept the stumps for decorative purposes but I need to get the area finished before I decide what to do with them.

765B2880-C6E9-4608-B094-E7ED782F9110.jpeg

Fun in the garden.  It’s great to be back in the dirt again.  LM

Respected Contributor

Re: Remember the two big spruce we lost?

it amazes me how the hostas die off right down to the ground...

but grow back to these huge plants again the next year ....

Honored Contributor

Grasses are very hardy and hard to kill. The green shoots are a great omen. I think they'll be fine.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom  I'm betting those grasses will come back.  I had lots of well established perennials in front of my condo when they had to dig up the entire bed because of a blocked drain that needed to be replaced.  That was in September several years ago.  Would you believe every one of those plants and bulbs came up the next spring?  Some were moved around a bit, but all are fine to this day!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom  Looks like the hostas and grasses will rise again. They all are pretty hardy. Yes our plants are much like our babies, hopefully with love & care they all grow.

Going out on a limb to say you have such a green thumb you could make dirt grow!

Esteemed Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD@2blonde@gardenman@Big Joanie@ et al, thanks for the encouragement.  The hostas will definitely make it.  The big grasses are tough I know.  We are about to see how tough the smaller ones are.  

Gorgeous us here today but the black flies are awful!  Some light gardening on schedule today after the job yesterday.

I’ll keep you posted on the rejuvenation project.  LM

Honored Contributor

I'm with you, @Lilysmom

I only in the last year or two learned about Japanese forest grass and am excited for you that it is showing signs of life.  It is simply gorgeous.  

I felt the same way about my small decorative "shamrock" oxalis plants that the fence builders had trampled and was thrilled when they started to pop back up.  I, too, had to first remove some soil that they had rudely moved all over the place.  

Plants are living things and deserve careful attention and a helping hand when necessary.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom

We have a nasty biting fly here in NJ that we call the strawberry fly, due to it being an aggressive biter in enormous quantities about the time strawberries are out. I bought a goofy "Bug Baffler Shirt" that is very effective at stopping them however.  It's basically a pullover shirt made out fo what looks like a softer form of window screening that shileds you form the biting insects. It looks weird as heck to wear, but it does a good job. A side benefit of it is it shades your body and keeps you cooler also. It has a hood and cuffs to help prevent insects sneaking in. They're expensvie and your neighbors may laugh at you, but they're pretty neat.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@gardenman, I live on a lake so black flies are inevitable in early season.  They burn off in the heat and are usually gone by July 1.  Myself and all my neighbors wear exactly what you described.  I have many different hats and full half body suits of netting.  Who cares what you look like as long as it does the job, right?  No vanity here in that regard.  Bring on the bug suits lol.  LM

Trusted Contributor

to the OP: I salute you; you are a TRUE gardener. It takes a lot of time and work to do what you've done and only a true lover of the garden would do that. Congratulations.