Honored Contributor

Re: Remember how I said my garden is toast?

Glad to read your garden rebounded.

Poppies as some of the other wildflowers you listed prefer drier soils. Got to remember they grow where water is infrequent on our prairies. Keep that in mind when rainfall returns.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Trusted Contributor

justjazzmon: thanks for the information on poppies in particular and wild flowers in general. I'll keep that in mind.

Honored Contributor

@FuzzyFace wrote:

justjazzmon: thanks for the information on poppies in particular and wild flowers in general. I'll keep that in mind.

Sadly I bought 3 poppy plants from Gilbert H Wild in MO via mail order. ‘Beauty of Livermore’, a gorgeous orange red did wonderfully initially but once our spring rains hit, they got waterlogged (especially with naturally moisture retentive clay soil!) 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@FuzzyFace wrote:

Sadly I bought 3 poppy plants from Gilbert H Wild in MO via mail order. ‘Beauty of Livermore’, a gorgeous orange red did wonderfully initially but once our spring rains hit, they got waterlogged (especially with naturally moisture retentive clay soil!) 

@JustJazzmom  So sad about your poppies.  Clay soil here is like glue in the winter, and hard as a rock, and can be crumbly, the rest of the year.