Esteemed Contributor

I bought a beautiful Ranunculus the other day.  Has anyone ever grown these?  In my zone (5), my research says they are considered an annual, but  can be brought inside in the winter to be set outside again. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Patriot3, I had to look them up so I learned something new today!  They are beautiful!  What I read about is that they are grown from bulbs.  They go dormant and die back, coming again next season.  Does that sound like yours?  LM

Honored Contributor

@Patriot3 wrote:

I bought a beautiful Ranunculus the other day.  Has anyone ever grown these?  In my zone (5), my research says they are considered an annual, but  can be brought inside in the winter to be set outside again. 

@Patriot3  They are perennial in Ca, so I leave them in the ground to return the following year.  all bulbs need to turn brown before cutting the tops off as they get next year's nutrients from the green leaves.

Esteemed Contributor

I love these;  so do rabbits.  I planted some a few years ago.  They were gorgeous until the rabbits ate the flowers.  And, they literally dug up the bulbs and took them!!!

If our weather ever warms up, I am planning to put some in pots not at ground level.

Trusted Contributor

I picked some up at Lowes on Saturday.  They were just too beautiful to pass up!

My intent was to put them in pots and bring them in for the winter.   

Esteemed Contributor

@Jtdmum wrote:

I picked some up at Lowes on Saturday.  They were just too beautiful to pass up!

My intent was to put them in pots and bring them in for the winter.   

@Jtdmum  That's what I was thinking.  It's worth a try anyhow.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@Patriot3, I had to look them up so I learned something new today!  They are beautiful!  What I read about is that they are grown from bulbs.  They go dormant and die back, coming again next season.  Does that sound like yours?  LM

Yes, I was thinking of trying to leave it in the pot outside and then bring it in over the winter and see how it does.

Esteemed Contributor

I've always loved the look of ranunculus in catalogs and magazines, but never planted any.  Last year I bought a sack of ranunculus corms -- then I never planted them.  Reading this, I'm inspired to plant them in a pot on my deck.   Thanks for the idea!

I'm in Zone 6a and assume I'd need to dig up the corms every fall and replant the next spring....?   Is that right?  Or put the pot in the garage over winter?  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

I've always loved the look of ranunculus in catalogs and magazines, but never planted any.  Last year I bought a sack of ranunculus corms -- then I never planted them.  Reading this, I'm inspired to plant them in a pot on my deck.   Thanks for the idea!

I'm in Zone 6a and assume I'd need to dig up the corms every fall and replant the next spring....?   Is that right?  Or put the pot in the garage over winter?  

@tototwo  That's what I'm thinking according to the info I've read.  Guess we'll all have to give it a try Smiley Happy  They are so pretty.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks @Patriot3!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt