Respected Contributor

Raised Bed Leveling- Need HELP

I decided to add a 3 ft. raised bed to my garden to grow garlic (I have other 4 footers). I have a friend who makes sure they are level, etc.

Problem- this is set in a flower bed area, next to a backyard walkway. The bed fits fine, but the ground is uneven. My friend is having shoulder problems, so he didn't fix issues like he normally does. 

I do have garden fabric under the raised bed. But there are about 1/2" gaps across the front, & some on 1 side. So, will the soil inside the bed bleed out when watered/rains? I would assume it does. Any quick & easy fixes? I need to get the garlic planted asap.

Heart

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Raised Bed Leveling- Need HELP

I have a raised bed - fake stone frame about 3 ft high.  When I installed mine I put a layer of stones in the bottom.  Every year I have to add more soil because the stones/dirt settles down into the earth - due to rain - Spring frost heave.  I wouldn't worry about 1/2 or inch gab because the dirt will shift and settle over time.  My garden isn't level in any way - but it's only plants in there..........so who cares?    Have fun and get that garlic planted!

Respected Contributor

Ok, thank you. I wasn't sure how much soil would seep out. It rains A LOT here for several months straight....pretty much Oct through May. Since I spend good $$ on organics, I wanted them to stay put. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@spot555, why not line the raised bed with landscape fabric?  I do this when I plant in the rocks.  It keeps the soil from escaping.  Good luck!  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@spot555, why not line the raised bed with landscape fabric?  I do this when I plant in the rocks.  It keeps the soil from escaping.  Good luck!  LM

I agree. Lining it with landscape fabric will stop any soil loss.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

Hi everyone. Smiley Happy

The entire flower bed is already lined with garden fabric. The problem is that the area isn't completely level. So when I put the raised bed on top, there were gaps from bed to ground. 

Normally, I'd remedy this properly. But the weather has turned, & I don't want to mess with all that. I did a temporary fix by putting some pieces of wood to fill the gaps. I'll make the area look better after the garlic is harvested (next JULY!) 

At least it's on the side of my house, so I'm the only person who can see it. It's not that bad, but I like things done the right way. Oh well.....looking forward to more delicious garlic next year!  Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@spot555, you're all set for now.  Sometimes a photo is a great help so we can see your issue.  LM