Respected Contributor
On 6/16/2014 gardenman said:

Rabbit fencing is the only real answer. A natural solution is to get a pair of red tailed hawks nesting in your neighborhood. A few years ago we had tons of rabbits then a pair of hawks set up a nest in a neighbor's tree and the rabbit population went away. I haven't even seen any rabbits this year, but now we've added coyotes (in southern New Jersey) to our wildlife mix and I suspect they're helping keep the population in check.

The same thing happened here. They nested in the tree across the street and I haven't seen a single rabbit in my yard this year. Last year a bunny almost killed my lilies, crocus and roses by eating them to the ground. My neighbors and I have a communal vegetable garden and the tomatoes, peppers and radishes are fine. The rest has a fence around it because it's the only way to keep them out.

Honored Contributor
On 6/16/2014 ennui1 said:
On 6/16/2014 Nightowlz said:

Good Question we have the same problem. We have problems with rabbits & squirrels. Last year a squirrel ate our zucchini plants. We looked out the window one day & saw it eating the zucchini. I ran out & chased it off. Later I saw it out there again. Had totally ate the whole plant & was in a hole it had dug & was eating roots & all of the zucchini. We had no zucchini last year.

And you're complaining? Most people can't give it away fast enough. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

LOL!!! Yes. Love zucchini muffins & Brittany's Chocolate Zucchini Cake among other recipes. The in-laws also love all the free zucchini, okra, green beans, peppers etc from our garden.

Honored Contributor
On 6/20/2014 glb613 said:
On 6/16/2014 gardenman said:

Rabbit fencing is the only real answer. A natural solution is to get a pair of red tailed hawks nesting in your neighborhood. A few years ago we had tons of rabbits then a pair of hawks set up a nest in a neighbor's tree and the rabbit population went away. I haven't even seen any rabbits this year, but now we've added coyotes (in southern New Jersey) to our wildlife mix and I suspect they're helping keep the population in check.

The same thing happened here. They nested in the tree across the street and I haven't seen a single rabbit in my yard this year. Last year a bunny almost killed my lilies, crocus and roses by eating them to the ground. My neighbors and I have a communal vegetable garden and the tomatoes, peppers and radishes are fine. The rest has a fence around it because it's the only way to keep them out.

Those baby hawks are just eating machines. I don't think more than an hour or two passes each day without the parents bringing back a rabbit, squirrel or some other creature for them to devour. The parents are incredibly good hunters and any smallish animal on the ground has little chance against them.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I tried to go back thru the replies, and cannot find anything about bone meal- to give credit to who ever posted it- but somewhere I read to sprinkle bone meal around to perimeter of the garden. So I did and I cannot believe it, but it is working very well! I do have to reapply after a rain, but my peas and okra are actually able to grow- I am so excited!

Honored Contributor
On 7/5/2014 happycat said:

I tried to go back thru the replies, and cannot find anything about bone meal- to give credit to who ever posted it- but somewhere I read to sprinkle bone meal around to perimeter of the garden. So I did and I cannot believe it, but it is working very well! I do have to reapply after a rain, but my peas and okra are actually able to grow- I am so excited!

I didn't post about bone meal but I can tell you why it would work. The rabbits think an animal has been buried or died there (they can smell the bone meal).

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼