Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom ha, ha...yes that must be a Canadian term.  My bricks are much closer together, than your stones, so weeding by hand is the only solution.  Your pathways are very nice!

Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom  You paths are lovely and natural. To be honest, I'm glad you don't have access to rubber mulch, which is harmful to ecology and our earth. Keep using pavers and river rocks. It's gorgeous and safe to the environment! 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

@BirkiLady ❤️.  LM

Valued Contributor

@Mom2Dogs 

my latest try for weeds between pavers was vinegar. First I applied straight vinegar (regular distilled white vinegar) sprayed on the weeds. Within a couple days weeds were dead. It has been two weeks and no weeds there yet. Actually the first time I experimented, I just drizzled the vinegar directly from the bottle.

In another area, I used (mixed 50/50 water and vinegar in a spray bottle) spraying the weeds and that killed the weeds too.  I'm not 100% certain if that killed all the roots because I am seeing the beginning of weed growth, but they may be in between different pavers from where I sprayed before.  I only sprayed the specific weeds, not just the ground or pavers, and don't remember exactly where those weeds were.

I keep gallons of vinegar around because it is such useful stuff.

In regards to low areas, poke holes to get better drainage, but if that isn't the answer, I prefer smooth river rock over landscape fabric to mulch.  My dogs sit in my mulch areas too, so there is always mulch brought into the house.  I have lots of river rocked areas, but need to do more.

Honored Contributor

@JGalt ...I have not tried the vinegar but always have a gallon hand. I will give it a try.  Poking holes would probably not work in my soil...it's heavy clay and right now a heavy, 'sticky' mess.

I have decided to use pavers where she likes to lay, but the only place to purchase in my town is walmart and they don't carry the pavers...I will have to wait until mid week to get to another town to purchase.  I am praying the rain stops soon, for many reasons, including the poor farmers.

We have a water feature in the back yard  and there are tiny little weeds where the water drips.....since the dog drinks the water on a daily basis, I am thinking of using the vinegar ...after I put her out in the morning....she is then in the house the rest of the day while I am at work...I hope it kills the  weeds, but with water constantly running over the stones, not sure it will work but any taste of the vinegar should be gone by the time I return home, I don't think it will hurt her either.

Valued Contributor

@Mom2Dogs  Vinegar is magic stuff.  Since I was so pleased with the results of the vinegar on the weeds between my pavers, I'm going to use that in another area I need to tackle.  Two of my dogs, especially my dachshund, constantly lick everything outside. I feel better about the vinegar than herbicides.

Just spray the weeds, no runoff needed.

i don't get fancy in the corners of my yard. I would just get the pavers, even concrete squares, that Walmart sells.  I'm 35 miles from from a Lowe's or Home Depot, so I'm a big Walmart customer.