Honored Contributor

The only experience I have had with it is under playground equipment.

When the kids play on it, it ruins their shoes turning them black.  Their hands and legs are black too.

Rubber mulch petroleum product.  I would not want shredded rubber in my yard or around my pets. It is a toxic product.

Honored Contributor

Well fudge....the area is very wet....and not fixable....maybe I can find some type of 'mat' for her to lay on in that corner....she is only in that area when she knows there is a cat walking around the outside of our fence or if she hears the neighbor kids playing....she is a busybody for sure.

Yesterday when she came in she was an absolute mess...it was bath time for sure....thaks for the input, much appreciated.

Respected Contributor

I thought there were some potential health issues with this material  A lot of schools have eliminated it from their playgrounds and so have the public parks in our area. 

Super Contributor

Orkin man said this was the best mulch if putting it up to the foundation because of termites.

Honored Contributor

Re: RUBBER MULCH

[ Edited ]

Ideally you don’t want to pile wood mulch against your foundation. Leave at least a 4” gap between the foundation & the mulch.

@Mom2Dogs what about using paver stones like this? 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/16-in-x-16-in-x-1-75-in-River-Red-Concrete-Brickface-Square-Step-Stone-7...

You could use on top of soil & put polymeric sand between the gaps of the pavers. This special sand forms a gel when wet & acts as a weed block.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

I don't think i would, what if your dog ate some?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom  Once everyone warned me about the mulch, I though about the pavers!....I am thinking it will take 4 of them, in the corner where she likes to spy on the neighbors.

There is cypress mulch in the area now --that corner of the property is very wet....and the soil is clay....it just holds on to the water and we have had a tremenous about of rain this spring.  I raked it really good tonight and cleared a spot for the pavers...which I will pick up tomorrow.

I have never heard of polymeric sand....I wonder if my local stone company sells it, I buy stone from them and need a bit more for a different project, I will ask them....thanks for that tip!

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs  It also comes in colors. I have on my Nicolock Fire Island blend color pavers a grey sand in the joints. I had never heard of it either until a person whose brother is a landscaper mentioned it. It’s a lot better than play sand. 

Your masonry company should sell it or know who does. 

I think this is the brand the mason person used on our pavers.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gator+polymeric+sand&tbm=isch&client=safari&prmd=svin&hl=en-US&ved=2...

Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom ...Several years ago I laid down old bricks to form a wide walkway around our garden pond...it is not a professional job...but I like the rustic look of it, of course weeds grow between the bricks.

Since I have not used the sand your mentioned do you think I can use that product between the bricks....once it dries is it like concrete?  Meaning if I decided to move the bricks would I have a big mess to clean up and maybe not even get the bricks apart?

I spent a hour+ this evening pulling tiny weeds between the bricks, and while I enjoy being out in the yard working, my knee is paying the price!  This sand sounds like it would at least help with the weed issue.

Honored Contributor

Re: RUBBER MULCH

[ Edited ]

It’s not like concrete — try and imagine stuck together wet sand. Once you remove the weeds that special sand can go into the joints. I have a small area with these type of pavers that we use as an area to roll out the grill. I have to remove those weeds & do the same. 

This sand forms a gel when it gets wet. I think it works by expanding to block weeds.