Honored Contributor

I immediately tore off my coat and offered it to him, but he deferred, stating that there were others who might need it more than he.

I think he might have been influenced by Groudhog Day.

I’m hoping he was just passing through, ‘cause I don’t think we’re quite through Winter yet.....

Honored Contributor

I had a whole flock of fat robins on Saturday.  They feasted on winterberry holly berries until none were left.  That's not so unusual - robins often pick it clean in a single day.  What's unusual is that it happened so late in the season.

Honored Contributor

Here in the south we see robins year round!

Esteemed Contributor

Cold NYS - I always get a flock of robins around the holidays b/c I have a big Washington Hawthorn tree in front yard.   Loaded with little red berries and the birds get 'drunk'.  Not kidding - fermented berries a favorite - strip the branches bare and on their way.   About 2 dozen robins.

Valued Contributor

We have Robins here in Md all year.

Respected Contributor

We had an unseasonably warm day; temp maxed out at 63.  This is upstate NY.  Sure enough, I saw stink bugs in the house this evening.  How the heck do they get in?

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Esteemed Contributor

STINK BUGS..................never had them - I didn't even know what they were.....until couple years ago.  Found one 'walking' up my over the stove hood/fan and another this AM in the bathtub.  I flush them down the toilet immediately.  Have no clue how - or when - why they have invaded NYS.

Thankful they are dopey  and don't fly much - easy to catch when they just slow walk!

Honored Contributor

Robins contrary to popular opinion, do not migrate. They go into something called torpor & emerge on warmer winter days. Robin’s also eat juniper berries too.

@fthunt The marmorated stink bug is on LI here too. I found one 2 months ago in my basement walking on the floor. Off it went to the toilet. It’s been the 2nd one I’ve found indoors in 3 years. 

When visiting the Skyline Drive in VA several years ago, we stopped at a scenic overlook to take photos & read the plaque. We couldn’t stay long outside because they were all over the ground and the plaque! We had to check our clothes & car before we got back in. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

Robins contrary to popular opinion, do not migrate. They go into something called torpor & emerge on warmer winter days. Robin’s also eat juniper berries too.

@JustJazzmom

Your statement surprised me, so I did some googling on this topic. I found many articles that said most robins migrate, but some do not. I did not find any articles that said robins do not migrate.  If you have a source, please post.

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Cold NYS - I always get a flock of robins around the holidays b/c I have a big Washington Hawthorn tree in front yard.   Loaded with little red berries and the birds get 'drunk'.  Not kidding - fermented berries a favorite - strip the branches bare and on their way.   About 2 dozen robins.

@fthunt

I don’t recall the name of the tree but, here in Florida, there is one that robins get drunk on, too. Lots of the trees close to where my dad used to live and it was quit a sight to see when the robins got into the berries. Many angry drunk robins...