Honored Contributor

Re: Question on how long a peony should bloom

@steffd wrote:

i have so many peonies in my yard and they all bloom beautifully, but the blooms are gone within 2-3 weeks.  I fertilize all my plants for bigger blooms, using one of those Cottage Farm products, and I am not sure that helps.  I am also always in a quandary about when they can be cut back. When they aren't blooming, the foliage is nice, but they grow so fast, they crowd out other more colorful plants.  Must I wait until they turn brown?  Any guidance is appreciated.

Peonies are going to bloom as large as the cultivar bloom they are-- their clumps get larger over time but the flowers will always remain whatever size they are. Peonies are still getting nutrients while their leaves are green so its wise not to cut back the green leaves until they do turn brown. You may want to relocate the plants that they are crowding out to elsewhere. I usually wait till late September to cut back my peonies and put away the hoops I use.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Trusted Contributor

Re: Question on how long a peony should bloom

Oh. I love peonies. I don't have as many as I would like. Mine seem to do the best in full sun. One of mine that did not get a lot of sun just disappeared and did not come back this year. 

I live just north of the OP and, knowing our weather, I think she should plant it really soon so it can develop its roots before it gets too cold.