Respected Contributor

Question for what who live in zone 6b

Here in central NJ we had some freezing temp at nights and my azaleas , roses and hydrangeas are looking pretty no more......

Question for you experienced,because I am not,  do you still water in warmer winter days? At least 1 or 2 times a week? I do not mind.

Thanks!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Question for what who live in zone 6b

@SANNA I am in Central NJ also. I am no expert at all but have azaleas, roses and a hydrangea and I have stopped watering them. They are all quite a few years old and they come back every spring
~Jersey Girls don't pump gas~
Respected Contributor

@SANNA 

After the first summer and fall, l let the watering go for the hydrangeas that I have in zone 6.  I also fit them to ground right before or after the first frost: they come back taller and bloom beautifully.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

Thank you ladies!!  I have read that hydrangeas should be trimmed to the ground after the frost. But mine are young, were just planted in September 2 gallon size plants. 

And that make me worry that I will ruin them before they get strong.

All my hydrangeas are Endless summer breed.

What do you think?

Honored Contributor

@SANNA wrote:

Thank you ladies!!  I have read that hydrangeas should be trimmed to the ground after the frost. But mine are young, were just planted in September 2 gallon size plants. 

What do you think?

Be sure to keep watering deeply until the ground freezes. Let those Endless Summer stay untrimmed. Let them adapt to their new home. You can make the decision to trim back any dead stems in the spring.

Not all hydrangeas should be trimmed to the ground because you remove on certain hydrangeas the buds for next spring. Only I would say the arborescens or smooth hydrangea could be trimmed back as it blooms on new wood.

Examples are 'Annabelle' & 'Incrediball'.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Central NJ here too- and I never had luck with hydrangea blooms lasting more than a couple weeks. Mine were in front of my house too- that lessened  the curb appeal when they weren't in bloom..... Woman Frustrated

Respected Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@SANNA wrote:

What do you think?

Be sure to keep watering deeply until the ground freezes. Let those Endless Summer stay untrimmed. Let them adapt to their new home. You can make the decision to trim back any dead stems in the spring.

Not all hydrangeas should be trimmed to the ground because you remove on certain hydrangeas the buds for next spring. Only I would say the arborescens or smooth hydrangea could be trimmed back as it blooms on new wood.

Examples are 'Annabelle' & 'Incrediball'.

Thanks a lot! Great advice! I am a newbie but I love all of my new plants like my babies. We had planted 15 hydrangeas ,2 double knockout roses and 15 encore azaleas. I hope for complete gorgeousnesses next spring.