Respected Contributor

Re: Question About Slug Bait

Thanks everyone!  I have used beer in the past but I would need a lot of beer as I have a lot of vegetable plants.   I will use some beer and now that I know that Sluggo is not a poison (my garden is organic) I will put some around the beds of the vegetables.

Esteemed Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

@misscecille wrote:

Our landscaper told us to use beer.  Put out cheap plastic covers and pour really cheap beer and the slugs love it!  Give it a try because it sure worked for us!

My parents did this all of the time, and it worked for them too! My dad would put a shallow plastic bowl of beer by the garden. They were attracted to it and would try to get to it. Then they were no more! 

@beach-mom @misscecille My folks too! This started them on their organic gardening venture also- back in the 1970's 'pestiside free' wasn't the norm. Heart

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lovesallanimals

There are also little cap things, little mini four-legged plastic tables under which you can put the Sluggo bait.  I used to do that because even though it's not necessarily harmful, you don't want your dog to overdose on iron.

I could not find a picture of what I used to use.  I only found these snail "traps" but imagine just the top with four legs, like a miniature table.  You'd put the bait under the table.

You may or may not want to use the "traps" since I imagine you'd either have to throw them away or clean them out, both options I think are more trouble than just using the little "mini table" version I used to use.  

Here is a kind of "trap."  I hope you can find just the "mini table" version (without the bottom enclosure shown here) if that works better for you.

Image result for miniature plastic table for slug bait

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

The beer technique works for me too. It also works on the slugs.

Respected Contributor

I'm trying something new this year. I had DH get me about 10 rolls of pennies and spread them all around my pretty deck flowers and plants that were being totally consumed by snails and slugs. I spread those pretty pennies all around and the pesky critters seem to be staying away! They hate copper. Working great! Of course if you have children or pets who like to eat copper or coins this is not for you but it sure is working for me. Looks pretty too. The first time I ever threw money at a problem and it WORKED!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@silkyk wrote:

I'm trying something new this year. I had DH get me about 10 rolls of pennies and spread them all around my pretty deck flowers and plants that were being totally consumed by snails and slugs. I spread those pretty pennies all around and the pesky critters seem to be staying away! They hate copper. Working great! Of course if you have children or pets who like to eat copper or coins this is not for you but it sure is working for me. Looks pretty too. The first time I ever threw money at a problem and it WORKED!

silkyk:  Wow - this sounds really interesting!  Well, I put down the slug bait, also put some empty tuna cans around with beer, now I just have to try this penny technique, if nothing else it will look interesting and pretty.  Thanks!