Honored Contributor

Re: QVC plants ... when did you receive?

tototwo---You'll enjoy your ilies, however--never heard of soaking the bulbs first. So how long , in what, and is the whole bulb immersed? Am waiting for 21 more lilies so maybe will try the soaking thing.

Esteemed Contributor

@tototwo, the live plants and bulbs are not in QVC's warehouse. They ship from Cottage Farms and Roberta's main nurseries (where they are grown).  That may explain the extended timeframe from notification of shipment to actual delivery.  You should have stems breaking ground before Memorial Day, and signs of first (albeit weak) blooms by Independence Day.   Please bear in mind that in the first season you flowers won't be as plentiful or robust looking as what was shown on air. Everything that you happens this year is like infancy for next year.  2018 is when you will truly appreciate your purchase as the bulbs will multiply, and should produce those prolific looking blooms we were attracted to in the presentation.   

@wagirl, I am the one who told tototwo about soaking bulbs prior to planting.  It was a tip I learned about several years ago from one of the Roberta's brothers.  He mentioned during a bulb presentation that soaking them in fertilizer was a way to help get the bulbs off to a good start.  Since I started doing it I've never had a bulb fail.  Of course Roberta's was promoting a use for their Flower Magic product, but I use Spray-N-Grow for this purpose.  I discovered Spray-N-Grow through QVC, but that product is now sold by HSN, and they have a website.  

Honored Contributor

trixx-thanks--- but how long do I soak them--a few hours or overnight? And do you mix the fert with water? Prob way over thinking this whole procedure----so sorry. ;-)

Esteemed Contributor

@wagirl, Don't overthink it.  My usual is around 6 to 8 hours. I'm a first light in the morning gardener, so if I start the soak around 10:00pm to midnight, for me that is 8 hours before planting.   

Honored Contributor

ok trixx---found my spray n grow and soaked my lilies overnight and will plant them today. Am anxious to see what happens!!  thanks for the info!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 - thanks!  I ordered several perennials from Ebay one spring .... in fact, I went a little crazy with it and had to quit visiting Ebay's plant pages because of it!  But, almost everything I got from Ebay that year was healthy and thrived. 

@Trix - I'm well aware that the plants are shipped from CF and Roberta's warehouses, but still don't understand why it takes so danged long for the whole shipment process.  I mostly blame UPS, not CF or Roberta's (unless they ship unhealthy plants in the first place). That's why I prefer to buy plants locally, and buy plants that are grown in and for my area.  Still, I assumed I couldn't go wrong with bulbs -- so far, so good!   Some of those bulbs were already sending up shoots when I took them out of their plastic bags.  It will be interesting to watch them grow and spread over the years.   The only bulbs I've ever planted up to now have been tulips or cannas.  This will be fun.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Trusted Contributor

Still waiting for my gerber daisy plants.  It saids "in process".  I'm sorry, but our weather has been fine to plant for the last 3 weeks here and looks like I may not get them for still another week.  I feel like I'm getting a very late start, at least 4 weeks late, by waiting for my QVC plants to arrive.

I love the plant shows that they have in late winter, you're already for spring to come, and  they get you to start buying.

I think this will be my last year of buying QVC plants.  Went to Home Depot today - they had LOTS of beautiful plants and good prices too.

Honored Contributor

I love going to the nurseries in the spring and summer.  I usually buy my summer annuals at Costco.  The quality of what they had this year was below normal.  Things seem to be changing with the new CEO.  I have purchased a few QVC plants in the past and I have been very disappointed.  This year I only made one purchase and hopefully they will bloom.  

Trusted Contributor

STILL WAITING for my gerber daisys.  It states when I check for status "in process"....oh my, it's almost JUNE and no plants!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@BunSnoop, it seems odd that you haven't received your plants yet.  Have you called either QVC or Cottage Farms?

The lily bulbs I got are exploding out of the ground!  I'm pleasantly surprised.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt