Honored Contributor

Thinking of spring, are pumpkins hard to grow? My son planted some at his home ,last year ,wow did they ever grow,interesting to watch.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

I'm not sure, but I've thought about it for a couple of years now. Last year I saw a the nursery that had some nice size plants you could buy. With our short growing season I'd need those.  I think the gk would love it. 

Also I  saw a neighbor had one growing in her front yard last summer and in the fall seeing pumpkins growing amongst her flowers was nice touch.

Trusted Contributor

We grow a lot of acres of pumpkins, they like good fertilized soil, that doesn't get to soggy and lots of good ole sunshine.  Plant a couple, but remember they have large traveling vines that take up quite a bit of space.  Enjoy, there are so many wonderful types to purchase.

Esteemed Contributor

I let my fall pumpkin decompose in place, and every summer I get plants that sprout from the seeds.  I do nothing except water in dry spells and keep the mower/trimmer far away (they can host borers so you want to avoid stem damage).  Some years are better than others, but at the very least, the big orange blossoms are beautiful!

They do have gigantic leaves and take up real estate.  They look fabulous next to a perennial border and rock wall.  I can't wait now to hear all the pollinators buzzing around them in the lazy sun!

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

They are easy to grow. We grew for 2 summers in the past few years.

They will take off and grow up and through the fence and everywhere else.

We had so many, kids decorated alot for Halloween both times.

We grew different colors too, blue, green,white and orange.

Pretty and unique colors.

Honored Contributor

They were really in interesting to watch at my sons home , and in the fall the deer like them,so plants would be better,than seeds? I was thinking  on planting them in two circles i have in back yard, lots of sun, but not good soil.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

@goldensrbest   One type of pumpkin that we grow is from the squash family and is a large blue colored pumpkin called Jarrahdale, this is my absolute favorite to wedge up and bake in the oven and puree it for pumkin pie, so delish, and a large amout of pumpkin.  This pumpkin is just as easy to grow as the common orange variety. 

Honored Contributor

I grow the little pumpkins,they will crawl up a trellis, they look beautiful at all stages of growth and are easy to grow. If you grow them where they can climp, the fruit does not get damaged or dirty. Just make sure you leave them on the vine long enough or they will get mushy inside a few weeks after you have picked them.