Honored Contributor

Pruning Endless Summer Hydrangeas

When DH cut our hydrangeas back last fall, he got a little agressive.  Consequently, we hardly had any blooms this summer except for some down low.  All of a sudden, they're starting to bloom up on top now.

Should we still trim them this year so should we just give them a year off?

Frequent Contributor

Re: Pruning Endless Summer Hydrangeas

I did that one year too. When you do aggressive pruning the next year you get more foliage than blooms and then the next year you'll see a lot of blooms. I gave my pruning a year off after that but I still cut off the dead ones at the end of the season. 

~ It's a good day when I didn't have to unleash the flying monkeys! ~
Esteemed Contributor

I rarely prune my hydrangeas.  I had a Niko Blue that I pruned this year because it had gotten huge.  I don't prune unless size is an issue.    Some bloom on new wood and some bloom on old wood and some bloom on both new and old wood.  I can never remember what is what so I either ask here or google.  

I find the Endless Summer pretty easy care.  I haven't pruned one yet I don't think but I have one that is a bit leggy so I will be interested in the responses.  LM

Honored Contributor

Endless Summer is a hydrangea that blooms on new and old wood. If you want to prune it back, it will bloom on new wood growth next year. If you are pruning to shape a hydrangea, I would say remove no more than a third of the growth each year over 3 years time.

Nikko Blue blooms on old wood so if you were to prune it now, you would be removing flower buds for the upcoming year.

These plants do well when pruned right after they flower and before the end of September in our area of the NE.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@JustJazzmom, I was hoping you would chime in here.  I hope OP doesn't mind if I go off her original post a bit.

I pruned my Niko Blue at least six weeks ago while the the bush was in bloom.  This year, a lot of my blooms on this type of hydrangea (2 different ones) are on the lower branches.  I think the hard winter killed some blooms.  I hope to see more next year.

I have one Endless Summer hydrangea that is quite leggy.  I will take your advice and take it back by one third.  It has many gorgeous deep maroon blooms.  One of my favorites.

Thanks for your help.  LM

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the input.  I want to try and enjoy the late bloomers, but will just cut them off once they're spent and leave the rest of the bush alone this year.