Esteemed Contributor

Protecting a small plant in winter

[ Edited ]

I have a very small gardenia plant. It started as a cutting from a friend a few years ago. Just a single stem maybe 6” tall. It seems to finally be “established” as it branched out a little last year. With the cold weather we’re expecting I’m wondering how I can protect something so small from the cold temperatures, snow and winds. 

I currently have it loosely covered  with leaves under a ventilated basket.  Is this good or bad?  Is there anything else I should do instead?  It’s maybe 8” tall and 6” wide. 

The person who gave it to me passed a couple of years ago and I don’t want to lose this remembrance of her. 

Thanks in advance. 

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

Re: Protection my a small plant in winter

@esmerelda  How cold do expect it to get?  Mulching with leaves is a good idea.  For such a small plant, you can probably cover the whole plant, at least for the duration of the cold weather.  Be sure to remove the leaves when conditions improve.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Protecting a small plant in winter

[ Edited ]

@ValuSkr Thanks. Temps in upper teens, wind chill 0.  It shouldn’t last long but I doubt this will be the only one before spring. 

I have a frost blanket that I’ve used to protect lettuce in the past.  I think if I cover the basket with some of that (without the leaves) it might be good protection for the winter. I may do that after this “spell.” 

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@esmerelda  Is the plant in the ground or in a planter / basket?  If the latter, I'd bring it inside until danger passes.  A garage or enclosed porch would be okay, just as long as they're above freezing.

Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkrIt's in the ground.  Otherwise, yes, I would bring it in.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

Gardenias can be fairly hardy but you say it's small, so it probably need protection more from the wind than the cold.

Do you know what kind it is?

There are quite a few different varieties.

DH was the gardener in the family, whether it needed it or not, he always cut back our gardenia in the fall, then mulched with pine straw.

Esteemed Contributor

@software

Yes, the wind especially concerns me. I don’t know the variety.  

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

I would also drape a piece of cotton towel or cloth or burlap over it. Secure it some pipe cleaners or twist ties. The air will still circulate and moisture will pass thru but it will be an extra layer against the cold temps. If it drops to a frigid temp then I woul put a plastic bucket (or something like it) over it until the temps rise again. That's what has worked for me so I hope you have the same luck.  

Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@software

Yes, the wind especially concerns me. I don’t know the variety.  

I've never used a frost blanket.  I just use an old bedsheet to cover, then tuck the bottom in & use a couple of bricks to hold it down.     But that's for temps in the 30s or high 20s with a frost warning.

Esteemed Contributor

Make sure it's been deeply watered (if you're where I am, there's been enough rain).  Keep in mind that snow can actually be a good insulator.

Has it lost all of its leaves?  Wind will be less of a concern if that's the case.  I know those are generally considered "evergreen" but even the hardiest of species are pretty tender and I woudn't consider them reliable.

I think what you've done with the basket is perfect.  They are prone to fungal leaf spot (not generally deadly) and overwatering issues (I know, contradicts what I just said but it's all in the management) so do un-protect it if the weather becomes milder (as others have said).  Good luck!  I don't mean to come across as preachy - I have many years behind me in nursery work and the spiel just automatically comes out!

Cogito ergo sum