Esteemed Contributor

Mr. Porcupine is in the tree daily.  Not liking this.  I know where he lives and I am ok with that (in the wooded area below the main property).  Yesterday DH went out with the air horn and scared him away.  Hope he gets the message.  I had to warn my neighbors before we used the air horn as it is pretty loud.  We’ll see what happens today.  Come on hibernation!

Our Lab has a leg injury and is on medication.  The last thing I need is for her to re injure the leg.  Don’t need another vet visit.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

Mr. Porcupine is in the tree daily.  Not liking this.  I know where he lives and I am ok with that (in the wooded area below the main property).  Yesterday DH went out with the air horn and scared him away.  Hope he gets the message.  I had to warn my neighbors before we used the air horn as it is pretty loud.  We’ll see what happens today.  Come on hibernation!

Our Lab has a leg injury and is on medication.  The last thing I need is for her to re injure the leg.  Don’t need another vet visit.  LM

@Lilysmom  I hope the porcupine leaves soon and that your dog recovers quickly.

Honored Contributor

Porcupines make their homes (nests) in trees.  We have about 20 acres and we have a lot of them on our property.  You can usually tell which tree one is "living in" by the bits of bark and needles (ours are usually in the pine trees) around the base, caused by their chewing.

We don't have a dog, so no worries about one tangling with a porcupine,  We like ours and I have quite a few good photos and some videos.  They are generally slow moving and you can walk right up to them.  Just make sure they're facing you or that you're out of reach of their tails.

They really don't want to tangle with anything and their first instinct is to run away, but will defend themselves, if they have to.  I love seeing them out on the front lawn!