Honored Contributor

Price point for trimming shrubs, etc.

I wonder if anyone could give me an idea of what it costs to have shrubs and bushes trimmed?  DH is getting to the point where he can't do it any longer and I sure can't do it!  I know you can't give me exact figures, but I'm just trying to get a ballpark idea.  We would need probably about 6 or so trimmed up and then maybe done like 2 more times during the summer.  Thanks so much! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Re: Price point for trimming shrubs, etc.

We do our own at home but contract it out here at the office.

My boss found a 'side guy' and we pay him $150.  He trims all the landscaping and 'fluffs' up the mulch and weeds.  If more mulch is needed, that is extra.

The company that cuts our lawn wanted $600 for spring cleanup and $300 for subsequent trims.  For that much, I would have done it!  LOL...if I break a nail, I would have to charge him extra though!

I think you will find a wide range of pricing.  Maybe some of your neighbors have a service they could recommend.

Good luck!

Honored Contributor

There's trimming with a hedge clipper where they can shear a shrub in a blink that should be pretty affordable. Then there's doing it the right way with a sharp hand pruner where each stem is removed individually. That can take a couple of hours per shrub and would cost quite a bit more.

What you and your husband might want to consider is not trying to do it all at once. Even one cut a day will eventually get the shrub where you want it. As we get older we sometimes need to adjust how we do things. That may mean taking a month of small cuts to do what we could do in a few minutes previously.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

Our guy charges $20 an hour.  He cuts the grass and trims with the week whacker.  Today he trimmed all the shrubs and put new mulch out.  He has done general yard cleanup, raked leaves, etc  Early last fall he pressure washed our fence and patio.   He pretty much does it all.  

Esteemed Contributor

No doubt depends upon your area and the amount of trimming.  My guy mows my lawn for $25 and the trim work brings the entire bill to $45.  

Honored Contributor

I thank u all for your kind replies!  This is really bugging DH as he is used to doing it all and the way he likes it!  He is very picky.  However, we are not rich people and we need to find an economical solution.  I am going to start calling places and try to get estimates.  I appreciate your help!

Honored Contributor

Our lawn guy charges $20.00 an hour across the board (trimming, edging, mulching). This is a great price for our rural area.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

If there are other gardeners in your neighborhood, stop and ask a couple of them to come and give you a bid.  You will get a better price this way because they know you want a good deal. I don’t know who you’re calling but if it’s local landscapers, they’re going to charge more. Don’t have the work done on an hourly basis, get a fixed price. It will also depend on whether you want them to carry away the clippings or you have enough space to put them in the trash. Get a couple of bids.

Tell DH he has worked hard many years and now it’s time to relax and let someone else do the heavy lifting. He can be there when workers give the bid, telling them what he wants. 

Honored Contributor

Thanks again!  None of our neighbors are friendly at all.  We live in a tiny little section of houses and we are kind of set off from the rest of the neighborhood.  We don't know anyone to ask.  I just started looking in the phonebook and there are several landscaping and lawn care places in the neighboring areas but I'm sure they will charge a lot.  DH actually enjoyed doing it but his health is declining.  Of course, my first concern is about him and I am so worried about hm.  I wish things didn't seem to get harder and more complicated as we get older!  

Trusted Contributor

Just had this done at our house. $97 for a 3-man crew for one hour. Took them one hour to do what used to take one person 2 or three hours! We have shrubs all the way around our house -- some boxwoods, some hollies, some lorapetalum -- next to the house a well as around the backyard fenceline. They trimmed, bagged, and cleaned up within that time.

Our lawn guy used to do it for $200-250, so this is much more cost- and time-efficient. It's a landscaping and lawn care company that does pretty much everything.