Honored Contributor

Re: Pretty in pink (astilbes)

@Allegheny wrote:

@GingerPeach I really enjoy that color.  Such a dainty shade of pink.  I have an astilbe that is doing beautifully, but hasn't bloomed yet.   I would love to add more, if you can recall the color I'd appreciate it.  Thanks.

Hi @Allegheny 

That one was planted so long ago I can't even remember exactly when and unfortunately, while I now have labels and keep information about my plantings, that one was planted before I kept data.  

I hope you find one you like.  Heart

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach 

So pretty!  

I made the mistake of planting mine in full, hot sun.  Seeing your blooms has encouraged me to try again. 🌿🌾🌱

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@GingerPeach 

So pretty!  

I made the mistake of planting mine in full, hot sun.  Seeing your blooms has encouraged me to try again. 🌿🌾🌱

Hi @Drythe With all the fabulous trees that I think you have close to you, I bet you can find a lot of spots that an astilbe might like.  They like a fair amount of water, too.  I think mine likes the overflow from the birdbath!  Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@GingerPeach 

So pretty!  

Hi @Drythe With all the fabulous trees that I think you have close to you, I bet you can find a lot of spots that an astilbe might like.  They like a fair amount of water, too.  I think mine likes the overflow from the birdbath!  Woman Wink

@GingerPeach 

I planted them in the courtyard below the fountain which drips a bit.  I thought there would be enough water & shade there, but NOPE.  Plus there are the Voles.  🐭 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the advice, @JustJazzmom ~ but I do plant astilbe in my shade garden with my hostas.  They do well the first year or two, but then fade away.  So I always plant them as a short-term perennial.  They sleep, they creep, but they never get to that leap stage.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@GingerPeach wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@GingerPeach 

So pretty!  

@GingerPeach 

I planted them in the courtyard below the fountain which drips a bit.  I thought there would be enough water & shade there, but NOPE.  Plus there are the Voles.  🐭 

Hi @Drythe 

Voles can be destructive, but they are cute. I once followed a vole - not too closely - when I was at a local recreational reservoir.  For whatever reason, it was on the upper parking area and I watched it as it made its way down toward the water.  I was a bit worried for its safety, out on the concrete all alone.  It made it all the way to the water's edge, but sadly it wasn't fast enough to escape the long beak of the local blue heron.

Now I follow a British "water vole" account on Twitter - different animal altogether - but equally as cute.

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@GingerPeach wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@GingerPeach 

So pretty!  

@GingerPeach 

Hi @Drythe 

Voles can be destructive, but they are cute. I once followed a vole - not too closely - when I was at a local recreational reservoir.  For whatever reason, it was on the upper parking area and I watched it as it made its way down toward the water.  I was a bit worried for its safety, out on the concrete all alone.  It made it all the way to the water's edge, but sadly it wasn't fast enough to escape the long beak of the local blue heron.

Now I follow a British "water vole" account on Twitter - different animal altogether - but equally as cute.

@GingerPeach 

It will not surprise you to hear that I once took a frog 🐸 away from a Blue Herron.  I know, interfering with nature’s cycles, but what’s a gurl to do?

Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@GingerPeach wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@GingerPeach wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@GingerPeach 

So pretty!  

@GingerPeach 

Hi @Drythe 

@GingerPeach 

It will not surprise you to hear that I once took a frog 🐸 away from a Blue Herron.  I know, interfering with nature’s cycles, but what’s a gurl to do?

Since frogs are now so endangered, I'd say you were ahead of your time, @Drythe   Good for you!  And you're right, I'm not surprised at all.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have lots of astillbes in all different colors.  They are so pretty, but wish they would last longer.

I am surprised mine do so well as they get a fair amount of sun.

Honored Contributor

Hi Fellow Gardeners!

I just saw a pretty shade of red Astilbe at the garden center - I always had pink in the past. Such pretty, delicate ferny leaves.

I was thinking of grabbing a couple this weekend but now I'm not sure if the spot I want to plant them is shady enough.

Sigh.............. I was so excited to get them. LOVE anything red LOL!