Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Pretty in pink (astilbes)

From my northern California backyard, the astilbes near the birdbath welcome all our feathered friends.

DSCN0656a.JPG

DSCN0657a.JPG

Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

Re: Pretty in pink (astilbes)

@Homegirl I've seen those when I lived in So. Cal. but never knew the name. Very pretty!

Esteemed Contributor

So pretty!

Respected Contributor

Very pretty!  I love the ferny texture, and the pink is beautifully delicate.  I also love a birdbath with a cobalt blue bottom, like the deep blue sea.

Birds are time, flying
Honored Contributor

They even grow in Nova Scotia.  @Lilysmom has some in her garden there.  If I remember correctly, hers are a darker red.  A lovely plant altogether no matter what color, @lovemygrands Woman Happy

Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

Dreamy 

Respected Contributor

@Homegirl  Thanks for the pic!  I don't think that I have ever seen them, but they are so pretty and I am going to look for them at my local garden center.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

Thanks for the lovely pictures.  I love astilbe and have planted several varieties over the years, but they always struggle for me.  Don't think they like it here on the great plains.  Yours are very pretty.

We don't stop laughing because we grow old.
We grow old because we stop laughing.
Honored Contributor

@tototwo  Astilbe like shade to part sun. They struggle in areas of a lot of sun. Mine are situated on eastern & northern exposures & beneath a magnolia mixed with hostas. I do have 2 on a southern exposure but it’s next to the garden shed (Deutschland).

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

@Homegirl I really enjoy that color.  Such a dainty shade of pink.  I have an astilbe that is doing beautifully, but hasn't bloomed yet.   I would love to add more, if you can recall the color I'd appreciate it.  Thanks.