Honored Contributor

Pretty flower for pots in a shadier area?

Gets just a bit of sun, not much. More shade. Any flower suggestion to grow in a pot?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Pretty flower for pots in a shadier area?

impatiens.....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Regular impatiens come in beautiful colors and can be massed and mixed to have real impact. There are several varieties and varieties for both shade and sun, but the regular old shady variety are very common and do well in limited sun.

Image result for shade impatiens

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

My entire yard is pretty much all shade. For pots I like regular impatiens, double impatiens, New Guinea impatiens (all three have very different looks).  Tuberous begonias are very pretty and also come in lots of colors. 

ETA, I’ve had good luck with wax begonias, too. They are very different from the tuberous. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaidenImpatiens are a shade staple.  They are easy to grow and perform well in full shade, so with a bit of sun the result will be even better (bigger plants/more flowers).  Begonias are also great in areas with not much light. Ferns are a favorite of mine.  You can also use hostas in pots.  The image of hostas shown here are not in pots, but what I have in the ground could be duplicated in a large pots in a shady location. 

100_1635.JPG

100_1660.JPG

Honored Contributor

We planted begonias in pots

image.jpg

Valued Contributor

Lobelia.

Begonias.

Honored Contributor

Thanks so much! 

Contributor

Another flower for shade is Torenia (the wishbone flower or clown flower).  it's most commonly found in blue, but there are also pink, purple, white and yellow varieties.

Trusted Contributor

I agree with everyone here ~ impatiens are awesome!  Our yard is pretty much all shade and I buy impatiens every year.  I like to plant lots of them in our fairy garden.  This year I bought pink, dazzler rose and blue pearl.  Blue pearl is kind of like a lavender-blue color.  Really pretty ~ almost glows!

A couple more choices are coleus and creeping jenny.  Coleus comes in different colors.  Creeping jenny has that lime green color and will spread.  I just bought some today!

Happy gardening!  :-)