Honored Contributor

Potential Plant (not in a garden)

I just stuck some toothpicks in an avocado pit and (following onlne directions) put it in a small crystal bowl ... hoping t will eventually sprout and I end up with an actual plant!

My eventual goal is a windowsill of avocado plants.

If nothing else - it's a pretty bowl of water!

Honored Contributor

Re: Potential Plant (not in a garden)

My mother did this a lot!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I did this many years ago and it grew like crazy !

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

So fun!  I did that a few years back and eventually my tree had to be composted - it got too big for the house.  I had cut it back and pruned the roots but I couldn't keep it any longer.  I knew I could start another one.

It went on the deck in summer and in front of a full view door in winter.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

They're really easy to grow from seeds, fun to watch, but they soon outgrow the house and it's time to plant in the yard, LOL!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Really? Something new I learned on the boards today.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@AuntG 

Yep, so easy! Here are some instructions:

How to Plant an Avocado Seed and Grow a Tree From a Pit | HGTV

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

There are lots of plants you can grow from pits/seeds/cuttings. You always hear of Johnny Appleseed but in the not too distant past every seed, pit, or cutting was viewed as a potential crop and could keep a family from starvation and would get saved and planted. Peach pits, apple seeds, vegetable seeds, would all get saved and planted.

Avocados are often used for houseplants, but a pineapple top can also be potted up. Sweet potatoes often get started as houseplants. If something has a seed or pit, it can often end up being planted and growing.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!