Valued Contributor

Has anyone purchased a pole for bird feeders that can be lowered to fill feeder.  I have to keep the feeder up high because the squirrels can jump from a plant but I can't reach it to fill it.  I can't seem to find anything that can be lowered.  Has anyone found anything like this.  Tired of using a step ladder.

Esteemed Contributor

Check out The A for a Miloo 5-15' extension pole with hook. Abt $32.

I get what you're needing. No personall experience wiyh this tool but make sure you can handle the weight of the pole+ the filled feeder.

Respected Contributor

@kismet wrote:

Has anyone purchased a pole for bird feeders that can be lowered to fill feeder.  I have to keep the feeder up high because the squirrels can jump from a plant but I can't reach it to fill it.  I can't seem to find anything that can be lowered.  Has anyone found anything like this.  Tired of using a step ladder.

My husband when he was living bought 2 pipes one smaller than the other, drilled holes in them, and then could extend it up high pushed a long nail through the holes. we also bought a baffle the size or rather would fit the smaller pipe. he's been gone 34 years and it still works like new, also very inexpensive.. Just pull the nail drop it fill feeder and push back up and insert nail. nothing rusts and birds are up in the trees eating. now this is heavy when feeder is filled but not for a man. You may have old pipes around we did.

Respected Contributor

This is a real problem for me. I found a very sturdy one at Wild Birds Unltd that has an extension to put the feeders up way high. Without it, the squirrels can jump up onto the feeder from the ground. It sounds good...but, since it's so nice and sturdy, I can't lift it when the feeder is full. I'll be following this in hopes I can finally find something to keep those pesky squirrels away. BTW, I do have "squirrel proof" feeders but that doesn't stop them from swinging on the feeders to allow the seed to fall to the ground. They're so smart!

Valued Contributor

HLP, that's what I have now but the two pipes are stuck together.  There is a screw that goes into the two.  My husband passed last month and before he did he decided to just reach for the feeder and fill it.  I can't and have used a step stool.  My daughter will fill it when she comes over but I would like to take care of it myself.  I tried to loosen the two conduit pipes but they won't budge.  Guess I could buy new pipes and redo it. 

Valued Contributor

Snowpuppy,  I did look at the pole and it may work but I wonder if it would stay in the ground and be stable.  I could use something like that to clean inside and outside the house.  Thanks for the info.

Valued Contributor

Carolina925,  I have the same problem with the feeder being too full and lifting it.  I got the pipe I have from the store and cut it in the store since it was so long.  Don't know where the pipe cutter is since I'm alone now.  I just fill it half way and do it more often.  My feeder sets on the pipe, it came with a pipe but it's too short.  Guess a lot of us bird people have this problem.

Respected Contributor

@kismet , I saw some adjustable shepherd hook poles on Amazon...maybe that will work.  Not sure how tall they'll go.