Honored Contributor

Please help me before my idiot DH ruins our seedlings

It is 32 degrees outside, but the sun is shining.  He wants to put a tray of seedlings, about two inches tall, in the sun in the back of the car.  He claims it will be warm enough, I say he will kill the whole batch.  Opinions please.

Regular Contributor

Re: Please help me before my idiot DH ruins our seedlings

I don’t think calling your DH an idiot is helpful or reassuring for your marriage.

Honored Contributor

I would think the car would get too hot and the seedlings would die.  Or will you leave a window open slightly?

You would be better off getting one of those tube fluorescent light fixtures and suspending it on chains over the plants.  But I understand where your husband is coming from - he wants to save money.  We all have crazy ideas from time-to-time.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Image may contain: 1 person, standing and text

Respected Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

I would think the car would get too hot and the seedlings would die.  Or will you leave a window open slightly?

You would be better off getting one of those tube fluorescent light fixtures and suspending it on chains over the plants.  But I understand where your husband is coming from - he wants to save money.  We all have crazy ideas from time-to-time.  Smiley Happy

Evidentally you'd be better off getting a new husband, just kidding. He may surprise you. Best not refer to DH as an idiot. I lost my DH 19 years ago, and would love to have him here doing dumb things. Don't be frustated, there's time to replant. God Bless

Honored Contributor

@prisrob wrote:

I don’t think calling your DH an idiot is helpful or reassuring for your marriage.

@prisrob 

LOL!!! Depends on your marriage. I call DH an idiot all them time. No he does not like it but he will get over it just like I do when he says things I don't like. We have been married 43 yrs. 

Honored Contributor

Just leave them inside for now in a south facing window where they will get Sun. Probably not a good idea taking them back & forth from the car while it's 32°.

Honored Contributor

I agree with @ValuSkr  says, use those plant lights. 

At this time a South facing window might not have enough sun (duration of hours) and they will ‘stretch’ towards the light & look leggy.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

So, he's putting them there temporarily until the sun goes down because if it's 32 and the sun is shining, it will get colder at night.

I suggest he leaves them inside the house in a sunny spot until it gets warm enough to plant outside.

Honored Contributor

@depglass 

Geeze, I guess some people have no sense of humor! I'm sure you only called him an idiot to us, not to him and you didn't mean it seriously.

As to your question, the sun amplified by the car's glass windows would be too hot and probably wilt the tender seedlings.

I agree with the suggestion of using an inexpensive fluorescent light until it warms up in your area.

You can even buy 'grow light' bulbs to use in the fixture.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.