Esteemed Contributor

Re: Please help me before my idiot DH ruins our seedlings

@depglass  I'm wondering if you started your seedlings too early. By transplanting time, they may be really leggy! I'm in SE PA, and I just started my tomatoes this past weekend. We won't be able to plant outside until the second weekend in May. We have two windows in the house for optimum sun - kitchen and living room. My DH moves them when he comes home for lunch. Seems to have worked lo these many years

Regular Contributor

Yes, but you did not ask for my opinion. She asked for our opinions, and I gave mine. 

If you want my opinion, just asl.

Occasional Contributor

It's just seedlings, not brain surgery.  Let your "idiot" husband do whatever he likes.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@prisrob wrote:

I don’t think calling your DH an idiot is helpful or reassuring for your marriage.

I agree.  Teasing is one thing, but "idiot" is not a word I would ever use - publicly or privately - to describe someone I care about.

Esteemed Contributor

Even in the best marriages, you both can get on each other’s nerves.  The best way to handle anything is with respect, not name-calling.  We all make mistakes; nobody is perfect.  Words can wound.  

My DH borrowed my Forester one day for hauling-type errands.  We had workers doing renovations here, and the garage was full of their stuff.  He parked my car outside, locked the doors, but forgot and left the sunroof open.  He had stocked up on hard candy and left it in the car.  Surprise!  The following morning there were empty candy wrappers all over the inside of my car.  It was obvious Rocky, our resident raccoon had quite a party.  He did sanitize the inside of my car and apologized profusely.  But, believe me, I did bite my tongue!

Honored Contributor

Sorry but I'm still stuck on the OP referring to her dh as an "idiot". Wow I could never call the love of my life such a vile name. But then again, my dh and I always feel that no one else has the love we have. I guess we're right. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

It’s too soon for that for a 2” seedling.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@depglass   The car would be too hot for the seedlings and kill them..  And I've called my DH and others idiots 10,000 times over...  

Honored Contributor

Idiot is a term of endearment in our house, but that's besides the point.  We compromised by having him put a digital thermometer in the space of the SUV he wanted to use.  He wanted it to act like a green house, but it took several hours to get up into the 60's.  He put them out there for a few hours and brought them in at sundown.  These are beets that are going to go into a grow box because some underground rodent got the beets last year.  We don't use pesticides.  The peppers in the same box have not germinated yet, and its been six weeks.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@depglass wrote:

Idiot is a term of endearment in our house, but that's besides the point.  We compromised by having him put a digital thermometer in the space of the SUV he wanted to use.  He wanted it to act like a green house, but it took several hours to get up into the 60's.  He put them out there for a few hours and brought them in at sundown.  These are beets that are going to go into a grow box because some underground rodent got the beets last year.  We don't use pesticides.  The peppers in the same box have not germinated yet, and its been six weeks.  

@depglass   I would dump the peppers as it doesn't take anywhere near six weeks to germinate peppers, but they do need heat.  I plant mine outside from seed when it gets warm, next week here.

"7-8 days for peppers to germinate.

The length of time it takes for your seeds to germinate is heavily related to soil temperature. Tomato seeds should germinate within 5-6 days if you can keep the soil temperature around 80º F. Peppers take a little longer with a little higher temperature (7-8 days at 85º F)"