Contributor

Plants shipping to Maine in March

Just saw that the sedum I ordered is shipping out! I am ready to plant, but Mother Nature sure isn't. The ground is frozen, not to mention that there is still about a foot of snow on top of it. Has anyone else had this issue of plants arriving too soon? It's really too bad-you think Cottage Farms would have been a little more cognizant of the conditions in New England. I guess I could keep them inside, but that isn't what I had planned to do. It was winter when I ordered them and they looked so nice on T.V. I bought the plants on line-shame on me.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Plants shipping to Maine in March

Keep you packing info,if they don't hold over till warmer weather and croak,call Cottage Farm,they will stand by their product. This happened to me also,came way too early so I do not order from QVC anymore.
Respected Contributor

That's why I don't order plants from any vendor from the Q. Same thing happened to me last year. Ground was still frozen when they arrived and when it thawed and I planted them they all died. I will go to my local nursery when I know it's time to plant. We still have at least two feet of snow out there.

Honored Contributor

Philip said to put the sedum in the garage, but open the box, until one is able to plant.

Contributor

Thanks for all of your good input - all good suggestions, which I will use. Thanks again.

Esteemed Contributor

Tundracat, this isn't related to your planting so I am OT. I live in Nova Scotia and we have snowbanks at least 7 feet high. Our weather is similar so I am envying your one foot! We have been hammered by colliding systems coming up the east coast of the U.S. and meeting systems coming down from Ontario. It's been very cold as well. Come on spring!

Esteemed Contributor

When plant companies do that to me - I let them know about it (how mad I am) and that I won't be purchasing from them again. Parkseed (?) is famous for that - snow up to the windows (NYS) and I got my order like you - in March. I never ordered again.

I now order from Burpee and Proven Winners - they both 'play fair'.

Honored Contributor

These companies are just begging us to hate them when they ship at the wrong time of year aren't they? {#emotions_dlg.mad}

Here where I am, most companies I deal with will ship in May, but if you write a note on the order or mention it on the phone, they will send out orders sooner-- so I have several things arriving in mid April. A rose is arriving in early to mid May.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Frequent Contributor

I ordered a blueberry bush from a mail order garden co. IT was delivered to me in MA in March with instructions to plant immediately......huh? We were under 2 fft.of snow and ice. I called the company and complained about the untimely shipping and they said they would ship another bush out in April. When did it arrive? March 31st! So now I have 2 that I will attempt to keep alive until weather permits me to plant them. So much for ordering from that company. I do have a year guarantee with them, so if the plants don't make it I will be refunded the cost.
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I had the opposite happen when I ordered plants from Burpee. I am in their latest delivery area and they had apparently sold out of all the plants and started new. The plants they sent were ridiculously tiny. Very few made it. I called and they did not have any more. They did refund my money but I did not have the plants I had planned on.

Have you been able to plant, yet? I just put out some tomatoes today. It was in the 30's overnight the other night and we were wearing jackets yesterday. Today was in the upper 50's or low 60's, a very nice day.