Honored Contributor

I don't get enough sun for a veggie garden.  I grow a few things in containers.  Cucumber, Squash, dwarf Okra.  That's really all I have room for.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Planting garden

[ Edited ]

@Pooky1 wrote:

I I just finished planting the vegetable garden on Friday. My fil always had a big garden now that he's no longer with us anymore I took over doing it.I just do things a little different. I added a chicken wire fence around it to keep animals from eating stuff and I started last year using straw to help with weeds and cut down on the need to water as often .Last year it worked really well.I pretty much watered it once every 5 days to a week and I got a ton of veggies out of it. 24 tomatoe plants,16 Swiss chard, 3 pepper,4 eggplants ,4 cauliflower,8 broccoli, 8 Savoy cabbage, 2 English cucumber, 3 green squash, 2 parsley,  and 2 basik then I planted seeds for Italian flat string beans, broccoli rob, orange carrots and colored airloom  carrots, bush beans plus some flowers and flower seeds. I started last year staking squash plants and growing them up. They did well like that and didn't take up as much space. someone came over and said and asked what's going on with the squash plants. They never saw them growing up before. I saw it on utube. Happy gardening this season and good luck everyone.

@Pooky1 have you seen the squash that is supposed to grow vertically?  I got seeds for that to plant in a container.  I think I got them at Burpee.  

Honored Contributor

I miss having a garden, but due to heavy aerial spraying of weed killer on the right of way behind us, we do not do inground planting of anything edible.  

For years we did container gardening in the backyard in kiddie pools, but weather finally did them in, so we just buy what we want from the local market now.   

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner   I tried and tried to have a garden on my patio for several years. 

In the end, I never succeeded because I wouldn't use any bug repellant chemicals and didn't have room in my window boxes to plant various natural "repellant" plants, like marigolds, to prevent the bugs from totally annhilating my plants. There were a variety of bugs and critters that made buzzing sounds and appeared in swarms!

One year I bought a selection of miniature veggies(peppers and cherry tomatoes) from Guy Yovan on HSN and things started out quite promising.  But then the bugs swooped in to destroy what had begun to grow.

The last year I tried to grow some herbs, we had unexpected torrential rains here in Phx and the window boxes were drenched with water accumulating in the drip trays on the bottom of the window boxes making them IMPOSSIBLE TO DRAIN because they were so heavy.  I had my cleaning lady (at the time) help me drain the "standing water" that I knew couldn't remain.

THAT WAS IT for my gardening adventure!  Good luck to all the successful gardeners out there.  I'll enjoy your success vicariously!!

Honored Contributor

@pdlinda You remind me of stories of my childhood when my dad farmed.  Bugs, plant diseases, floods, hail, rain.  So yes, your stories are familiar to me and some deal well with it, and some of us avoid it!  LOL!!!

Respected Contributor

Well kachina .last year the bought 14 tomato plants and I had a double row and when they came home this year with 24 unlike omg.why so many. There's like 4 varieties. Plus some will be given to family and last year my wife took some to work and gave people some. Years ago my fil would plant well over 100 tomatoe plants.my in-laws are from Italy and and they preserve them.   To the person that told me about planting in a bail of straw I have seen that done on utube.

Respected Contributor

Ice goddess I just put a stake at my green squash and as the plant grew I just kept tieing it to the stake.this can be done with any squash and even some melons.