Respected Contributor

I I just finished planting the vegetable garden on Friday. My fil always had a big garden now that he's no longer with us anymore I took over doing it.I just do things a little different. I added a chicken wire fence around it to keep animals from eating stuff and I started last year using straw to help with weeds and cut down on the need to water as often .Last year it worked really well.I pretty much watered it once every 5 days to a week and I got a ton of veggies out of it. 24 tomatoe plants,16 Swiss chard, 3 pepper,4 eggplants ,4 cauliflower,8 broccoli, 8 Savoy cabbage, 2 English cucumber, 3 green squash, 2 parsley,  and 2 basik then I planted seeds for Italian flat string beans, broccoli rob, orange carrots and colored airloom  carrots, bush beans plus some flowers and flower seeds. I started last year staking squash plants and growing them up. They did well like that and didn't take up as much space. someone came over and said and asked what's going on with the squash plants. They never saw them growing up before. I saw it on utube. Happy gardening this season and good luck everyone.

Trusted Contributor

Great job, sounds like you are doing so well with it! I got my 'garden' in as well. 3 cherry tomato plants, 3 full sized, 4 pepper plants, and my herbs. Basil, Rosemary, sage thyme, parsley...I'm forgetting a few. I can't get down to care for the garden so I planted in raised planters to give it a shot, no flowers in them this year...this is a test before I invest in having raised gardens built. I envy your energy @Pooky1 !!

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)
Respected Contributor

I actually have multiple sclerosis. I still do it but alot of it I do sitting actually but I stil! Get stuff done but just differently. I have Hurd Alot of good things about using raised beds.I have seen Alot about them on utube.good luck.

Honored Contributor

@Pooky1  Wow that's a produce section--not a garden!

I am in the testing phase doing a garden this year as we only came here for summers before and it was always too late to start.

I ordered a raised bed, husband assembled easily, but spacing was limited.  I'm too impatient for seeds, so I found some nice healthy plants at a local nursery and Whole Foods.

3 different kinds of tomatoes, banana peppers and red leaf lettuce.  All organic.  Lots of baby peppers, lettuce is coming up nicely and tomatoes are loaded with flowers.

Your garden sounds awesome, my dad still plants a *field* of veggies.  I'm limited to raised only because of neighbors walking their dogs and letting them go in people's yards. Boo and hissssss.

Honored Contributor

@Pooky1 wrote:

I actually have multiple sclerosis. I still do it but alot of it I do sitting actually but I stil! Get stuff done but just differently. I have Hurd Alot of good things about using raised beds.I have seen Alot about them on utube.good luck.

@Pooky1 Great job!  Here's an idea:  I had a cousin who took bales of straw or I think even hay, dug out three holes in a bale big enough to sit a tomato plant in, put a small handful of garden fertilize in and put in a tomato plant in each hole.  

He added a stake for them to grow up, watered as needed and grew beautiful tomatoes!  They don't touch the soil so they didn't get that yellow wilt on the bottoms.

He was a farmer and grew wheat, soybeans, watermelons and pecans.  We loved him and miss him so much.  The man had a big heart and a wicked sense of humor!

Have fun with the garden and eat well!

Trusted Contributor

@Pooky1 wrote:

My hat is off to you, @Pooky1. I have Rheumatoid and between the fatigue and mobility issues there are good days and not so good days...wish I could gather up my gumption!

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)
Esteemed Contributor

Nice!  Now you sit back and savor what is to come.

Respected Contributor

@Pooky1    OMG...  that is some  big garden!!!!!   Enjoy all that you planted.  I have 2 small ones.   One has my tomato plants and the other I put wire around to help with the critters,  and it has cukes, lettuce, jalapeno, japanese eggplants,  zucchini and herbs.  I LOVE cukes grown at home.  Totally different from the ones at the store. I grown them UP on trellises,  which takes up so little space.

HAVE FUN and enjoy your produce once you can start to pick it.

BTW ...  i have some lettuce that came back from last year...  plus I planted fresh.

I do everything with small plants that I  buy, except for the herbs and lettuce which grows from seed.

Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

Nice!  Now you sit back and savor what is to come.

@Still Raining Uh. .  . with a garden, in my limited experience, you can never sit back!  Woman Embarassed 

The bugs and the weeds and the "pickin'" see to that!  Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@Pooky1    I've just got to ask, what in the world did you do with the tomatoes from 24 plants?  That's an awful lot of tomatoes.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment