Esteemed Contributor

QVC map with zip code says I'm in zone 6B.

GardenWeb says I'm in zone 5. Others say 5B, 6 & even 7. I'm going to call my local nursery Monday. Why the huge difference?

Honored Contributor
Actually the official zones are set by the USDA. Here you can see them: http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/. I know Sunset Magazine used zones that were slightly different in their publications.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

According to that site I am 6A.

Thx.

Honored Contributor
Aren't you in Eastern Az? I'm right outside (NW) of Albuquerque and I'm in 7.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Contact these people-- your county offices are on the lower left of the webpage and they will tell you what zone you are in.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor
On 3/8/2014 kachina624 said: Aren't you in Eastern Az? I'm right outside (NW) of Albuquerque and I'm in 7.

Yes, almost to the New Mexico border. In the pines at 6400 ft. We get an average of 4' of snow each year.

Esteemed Contributor

I used to be zone 5b -- then with global warming and other climate changes, some zones have changed in recent years. I'm now 6, supposedly. Check with your county extension office or call a local nursery to be sure. I don't think any of the zone changes are so drastic that you need to rip out your landscaping and start over.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor
On 3/9/2014 tototwo said:

I used to be zone 5b -- then with global warming and other climate changes, some zones have changed in recent years. I'm now 6, supposedly. Check with your county extension office or call a local nursery to be sure. I don't think any of the zone changes are so drastic that you need to rip out your landscaping and start over.

Never said I intended to rip out landscaping, guess I missed something. Was just wondering why they are all so different. My plants do fine.

Esteemed Contributor

PinkSugar ~ I was using the global "you" speaking to everyone and anyone, not you specifically. And it was a joke. There were some diehard gardeners in my garden club who were in a total state of panic when the zone districts changed. Some of them dug out and tossed their zone 5 and below plants believing they wouldn't thrive in their landscapes anymore.

Sorry, I shouldn't have included that last sentence.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Super Contributor

Sometimes they put me in zone 9, sometimes 10.