Trusted Contributor

Re: Planting Shasta Daisies from seeds...advice please

@Dazlin wrote:

I'm planning on putting the seeds in small to medium pots...then if they grow , I'll transplant them.   They'll be outdoors.    I hope that's ok...rather than the tiny pots?

@Dazlin

This my method of planting, it's similar to what you were planning. But I take a 4 inch by six inch pot, it's about 2 inches deep (I think those are the approx. measurments) I fill the pot with seed starting mix, sprinkle the seeds on top, following the instructions on the package whether to cover the seed with soil, or leave the seeds uncovered, water them in, wait for germination. After they've germinated, i transplant the strongest, healthiest seedlings to a larger pot, one per pot, to help them grow strong and healthy. Once they are a good size, I will plant them where I want them outside.

Good luck, daisies are beautiful!

Respected Contributor

Thanks everyone...I planted the seeds today, in small to medium pots.  A dozen pots all together.   I put a just a few seeds in each pot, spacing them carefully.  I placed some facing east, which will get morning sun, a few on my lanai, which will get afternoon sun, West.    Can always move them...so I'll see what takes off.  Looking so forward to see them sprout.   Been busy here all weekend...planted some annuals , impatiens,  marigolds , dark pink coleous , (forgive spelling) and perennials lavender lantana, and blue plumbago😁🌼🌼.   Tired and achy now😴

Esteemed Contributor

@Dazlin Boy, oh boy, I hope you love Shasta daisies. They spread like crazy where I live and I'm always digging them out. I also learned to cut them back when they start flowering and the stalks stay shorter and not so tall that they end up falling over. Have fun. They're pretty cute.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

You've received great advice already so I'll just add that I love daisies.

It's been very hard to find them in stores for simple bouquets.  The ones I do find have been colorized.  So tacky.

I planted a miniature version in my tiny backyard and hope the rats don't find them too tasty before they can show their pretty faces. (I mean the faces of the flowers.  Although if you've ever had domestic rats, they are kind of cute, too. I just wish the wild ones wouldn't eat all my flowers.)

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.