Respected Contributor

Planting Shasta Daisies from seeds...advice please

How far apart for each seed?  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: Planting Shasta Daisies from seeds...advice please

If you mean starting them indoors a couple months before your last frost you can put several in the soil & keep moist with light. You would just thin them out.

If you are starting them outdoors after your last frost just sow your seeds in the area you want them & thin as they grow. Some will grow & some won't.

Esteemed Contributor

Google sez:

" ... If spacing seeds and not broadcasting them, Shasta daisy should be spaced 6 inches apart and thinned to strong plants at least 18 inches apart."

Esteemed Contributor

@Dazlin, love Shasta daisies!  LM

Respected Contributor

I love daisies too, lilysmom.    I planted a few seeds last year, and nothing took.  I believe I got an old packet at walmart.    Today I got the packets from Lowes, and they just got them in.     

I'm in Florida, it's in the 80s already, so no frost.   Yes, I'll start them outside.

I'm not sure what it means to plant thin....is that like 1-2 inches apart, per little seed?

Respected Contributor

@x Hedgewrote:

Google sez:

" ... If spacing seeds and not broadcasting them, Shasta daisy should be spaced 6 inches apart and thinned to strong plants at least 18 inches apart."

Do you mean plant each seed 6 inches apart?    Yes, I have just seeds.

Honored Contributor

Be advised that if you plant Shasta Daises seeds right into the ground, they probably will not bloom until next year.

if you want flowers this year, start them indoors or buy plants.

Honored Contributor

I would start them inside in peat pots or Jiffy Starts, even though you don't have to. I'd put three or four seeds in each peat pot, then once they came up I'd thin them to one or two seedlings per pot and plant them pot and all at the recommended spacing. By starting them inside in peat pots (or Jiffy Starts) you improve the survival rate. Seed starting mix is somewhat sterile while garden soil can be pretty hostile to seeds. Fungus, bacteria, insects, birds and more can attack, eat, and destroy seeds planted directly in the garden. It also makes it less likely you'll weed them out as they're coming up.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

I'm planning on putting the seeds in small to medium pots...then if they grow , I'll transplant them.   They'll be outdoors.    I hope that's ok...rather than the tiny pots?

Respected Contributor

@gardenmanwrote:

I would start them inside in peat pots or Jiffy Starts, even though you don't have to. I'd put three or four seeds in each peat pot, then once they came up I'd thin them to one or two seedlings per pot and plant them pot and all at the recommended spacing. By starting them inside in peat pots (or Jiffy Starts) you improve the survival rate. Seed starting mix is somewhat sterile while garden soil can be pretty hostile to seeds. Fungus, bacteria, insects, birds and more can attack, eat, and destroy seeds planted directly in the garden. It also makes it less likely you'll weed them out as they're coming up.

Gardenman...I planned on starting the seeds in pots, (.read my earlier post)...warm here in Florida.   After I read your post, I found some small peat pots I have leftover from last year.  I'll try what you say.  For the rest of the seeds I hope to plant them in larger pots, and maybe not have to transplant them this season?