Esteemed Contributor

Planting Around my Lamp Post

There are hosta plants around my lamp post that never look right since they get way too much sun.  I would like to dig them out and rethink about planting some perennials that would enjoy the sunshine in the spring.  I have daffodils that come up every spring around the lamp post.  If I dig up the hosta the bulbs will be disturbed.  Can I just replant these bulbs back in the ground?

Honored Contributor

Re: Planting Around my Lamp Post

[ Edited ]

@Biftu wrote:

There are hosta plants around my lamp post that never look right since they get way too much sun.  I would like to dig them out and rethink about planting some perennials that would enjoy the sunshine in the spring.  I have daffodils that come up every spring around the lamp post.  If I dig up the hosta the bulbs will be disturbed.  Can I just replant these bulbs back in the ground?

@Biftu  I'm no gardener but many years ago I dug up huge hostas from my brothers house. I wasn't gentle I think I used a grub ax they were so big. When I got them home I took a big knife and just chopped each up into four hostas. Planted them and as each grew bigger I dug them up and used knife again. I now have so many hostas all from a few giant ones. Mine have done fine with no special care. Only problem is the deer find them to be tasty for their lunch.

Honored Contributor

@Biftu 

If you have to disturb the daffodil bulbs to remove the hosta, yes you can easily rearrange and replant the daffodil bulbs.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

Of course you can.  That's how growers do it.  Your bulbs have likely reproduced smaller bulbs.  You should separate them when you replant and give them some bone meal for fertilizer.  I usually add some compost to the dirt because we have clay soil.

Honored Contributor

@Biftu wrote:

I would remove the hostas to a shady area and use something that blooms in the summer such as daylilies. That is what I use around my lamp post planter. My daylilies are 'Mardi Gras Parade' & 'Daring Deception'.

If you remove any bulbs during the hosta transplant, just separate them and replant in the planter at the proper depth. As long as the ground isn't frozen you can replant your perennials and bulbs.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

You're lucky that people don't walk their dogs and let them lift their legs on your lamp post.  

I don't have a lamp post, but watch my neighbors get targeted all the time.  It's sad, to be honest.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, you can dig up your hostas and the bulbs will be ok...just make sure they are all back in the ground.

I have flowers around my mailbox and caught a neighbor from one  street over letting her dogs pee on my flowers, grrr..I tapped on the window so she knew I saw her.  Now she walks the dog on the other side of he street.  

Honored Contributor

@Re: Planting Around my Lamp Post

@Biftu   An 8-10' type of Clematis would be nice, can be trimmed if it gets too high.