Esteemed Contributor

Anybody know what this is?  I'm referring to the glossy, toothy- leaved upright plant in the foreground (I know what all the other stuff is!).

I have my notions but a friend who sent me this photo insists I'm wrong, so I'm soliciting assistance.  He says it grows quite tall and has small blue flowers in late summer and is in shade.  This is VA.

Screen Shot 2019-05-14 at 06.50.15.png

Thanks!

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

Re: Plant ID From Foliage

[ Edited ]

@Sweetbay magnolia   I'm pretty sure this is a thistle. Be careful handling as this plant has tiny pricklies/thorns on the stems. I'll google and report back.

Okay - if you google 'photos of milk thistle' I believe you'll find this is what your plant is. 

We've plated these in our yard, they're very pretty, get tall, nice puple flowers & great green folliage.

Esteemed Contributor

I think you're right, @PINKdogWOOD .  Not often I get to converse with my favorite tree!  (I confess to a preference for the white one, but they're all beautiful.)

Thanks.

Cogito ergo sum
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

We have the wild Canadian thistle that grows everywhere,a terrible plant to stop growing.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

Right, @goldensrbest , one man's weed is another man's delight.  There are some that are cultivated as ornamentals, hopefully drowning out some of the undesirable traits.

I think the one in picture is related to the swamp thistle - it's less spiny.  I haven't seen this particular area in person.

Have a good day.

Cogito ergo sum
Trusted Contributor

These grow wild in our mountains. They would however be beautiful in a garden.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thistle is a weed by us, some can get to be 6’ high with yellow flowers. The ones by us have hairier leaves than the one in your photo. It probably has a taproot so it will be easy to dig out when small. I use a dandelion tool, when I see them (the one that looks like a screwdriver with a pointed tip).

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Holy Favorite FLowering Trees Batgirl  @Sweetbay magnolia   it took me awhile to get this but I DID!!!

Still laughing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!