Honored Contributor

Have any of you gardeners found a way to remove sap from your hair? I can't cut it out because it is right by the scalp and it's a pretty large area.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Pine Tree Sap In My Hair

recently my 6 year old grandson was visiting....he somehow got silly putty in his hair!  googled for a way to remove it.....olive oil and a lot of patience worked....and then, of course, a shower!!

Honored Contributor

Have you tried rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol)?  I garden under a white pine and get sap on hands and tools all the time.  I douse a cotton ball with isopropyl alcohol and rub it on the sap..

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

To remove sap ( or chewing gum) from your hair, rub peanut butter into the sap and it will melt and break down.  Finish up by washing your hair with your favorite shampoo.

This method works 100%...I have done this many times.

Added:  Vodka works too if you're out of peanut butter...and it's less messy.

Honored Contributor

Thank you for responding. I'm not looking forward to this, but will try rubbing alcohol first. I have olive oil so that's an option. Peanut butter is on my shopping list, but I was intending to eat it!

Respected Contributor

Don't laugh, OK?  Use Goo-Gone.  Then shampoo the GG out, of course.  I use this stuff on everything sticky.  Comes in little bottle, or you can get the large spray bottle at w-mart.  

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Honored Contributor

You need a solvent like paint thinner.  Try some fingernail polish remover.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I have it allover my car and windows so thanks for the peanut butter tip.

Man Happy

Respected Contributor

@Carmie  After eating all the peanut butter and drinking the vodka, I'd still have the sap in my hair, but I wouldn't really care anymore1  Cat Tongue

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

I have it allover my car and windows so thanks for the peanut butter tip.

Man Happy

@Just Bling, Be careful of the squirrels in your area if you use that on cars. LOL Woman Wink