Trusted Contributor

Pileated Woodpecker at my feeder !!!

PileatedWoodpeckerFeedingonTree,_crop.jpgI've had a beautiful large Pileated Woodpecker at my suet feeder for about a week now.   I'm very excited to see him, and to all bird lovers out there you know this beauty is a work of art.   I named him "Big Sexy".   I added a pic but it's not from my feeder, but just to show how majestic these birds are.  I guess it's the little things in life that sure brings a smile to my heart !!!!

Respected Contributor

Re: Pileated Woodpecker at my feeder !!!

What a beautiful bird.  Color/pattern is magnificent !

Honored Contributor

I know they are in the area, but they don't come to my yard.  I did get Bluebirds nesting in my yard though.  That's new for me.  In previous years I might see them on occasion.  Also, today I think I had a pair of Summer Tanagers at my suet feeder at different times.  Never seen those before.  I had to get my ID book out.  But, I haven't seen any Rose Breasted Grosbeaks coming through this year.  They usually show up at the end of April for a couple of weeks.

Esteemed Contributor

@hayseed00  Good for you! I saw my first while visiting Sanibel Island, FL two years ago! So striking!

Respected Contributor

Beautiful 🤗

Honored Contributor

@hayseed00 

A good looking Dude!

You know he had to concentrate to get the colors, the pattern, and that marvelous beak just right!

Thanks for sharing.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

@IcegoddessI have just one Rose Breasted Grosbeak, a few Goldfinch, which my Mother-in law use to call Wild Canaries.  I have quite a few Orioles which are just striking in color, and they sing a beautiful tune !!!

Valued Contributor

How exciting!  I always wanted to see one. I have seen the red bellied woodpecker but not this one.

Respected Contributor

How very exciting for you!  Aren't they magnificent?

I live in a wooded neighborhood and the elderly lady across the street told me they had seen one in their backyard.  I had my doubts that this was true because she was in the beginning stages of dementia.  Well last summer as I was out walking early in the morning I heard a bird calling in the trees that I had never heard before. Then two mornings later I saw it.  A pileated woodpecker.  Have never seen it since and never heard it calling again.  But I was so very glad to see it that morning.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

We have one also. Lots of trees here. You can here him from far away pecking on the dying trees. We see him every once in awhile. Amazing.