Trusted Contributor

Picture From Today of My HSN Waxed Dipped Amaryllis Bulb

[ Edited ]

This is my wax-dipped amaryllis bulb I purchased from HSN for Christmas.  After the holidays I removed all of the wax and planted it.  So far, it's doing so well - it blooming for Valentine's Day!!IMG_20210213_093213943.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: Picture From Today of My HSN Waxed Dipped Amaryllis Bulb

Congratulations for coaxing out another bloom!  It looks nice - and red is totally appropriate for Valentine's Day.

Regular Contributor

@BunSnoop 

Beautiful!

Honored Contributor

@BunSnoop wrote:

This is my wax-dipped amaryllis bulb I purchased from HSN for Christmas.  After the holidays I removed all of the wax and planted it.  So far, it's doing so well - it blooming for Valentine's Day!!IMG_20210213_093213943.jpg

@BunSnoop   that is just gorgeous.  I had always wondered if those waxed amaryllis worked out and yours is certainly beautiful.  I love amaryllis!  Is that plural or singular?  No matter, I like it and the word.

Respected Contributor

Mine bloomed once the end of December and again with a new stalk the end of January.  I'm trying to figure out if I should plant it now and see if it will continue to grow and bloom??

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sueinsf , I found some interesting U-Tube videos and following their instructions.  You may want to look at a few of them too!

After the holidays when the blooms were are done, I cut down my plant to about 1 inch from the bulb.  Soon afterwards I had 1 green shoot (the one that is blooming now for Valentine's Day).

After cutting down the plant, I removed all of the wax around the bulb.  They said IF you can see any roots, you can TRY planting it.  From what I understood they do try to remove all of the roots while their doing the wax dipping process; however a few roots may survive.

I had about 3 super tiny roots - only about 1/2 long - at the most.  I planted it in the pot you see in the picture, and that's what happened to mine.

In spring your suppose to plant it outside.  Then around the beginning of October bring it back in the house in a dark cool spot (garage, basement, etc.).  About six weeks before Christmas you bring it back out into the house and hopefully it will bloom again for the holidays.

Honored Contributor

@BunSnoop wrote:

@sueinsf , I found some interesting U-Tube videos and following their instructions.  You may want to look at a few of them too!

After the holidays when the blooms were are done, I cut down my plant to about 1 inch from the bulb.  Soon afterwards I had 1 green shoot (the one that is blooming now for Valentine's Day).

After cutting down the plant, I removed all of the wax around the bulb.  They said IF you can see any roots, you can TRY planting it.  From what I understood they do try to remove all of the roots while their doing the wax dipping process; however a few roots may survive.

I had about 3 super tiny roots - only about 1/2 long - at the most.  I planted it in the pot you see in the picture, and that's what happened to mine.

In spring your suppose to plant it outside.  Then around the beginning of October bring it back in the house in a dark cool spot (garage, basement, etc.).  About six weeks before Christmas you bring it back out into the house and hopefully it will bloom again for the holidays.

@BunSnoop 

Good information.  You really did your homework (and ours).  Thank you.

Respected Contributor

@BunSnoop wrote:

Thanks @BunSnoop  I did watch some of those videos.  Will have to try removing the wax and planting Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@BunSnoop Beautiful❤

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Super Contributor

I ordered a waxed amaryllis from QVC & one from HSN 4 Xmas--both are doing very well & are still blooming--beautiufl flowers and always a surprise when u see a new shoot--each one was like $25--now just for Valentines day I went on Costco web site & ordered there 3 piece set of waxed amaryliss--the 3 of them will all have red flowers but the waxed part were 3 different colors--one was red one was white and one was pink--I have them about a week & they all r coming up!--best part FYI paid $25 for all 3!-----marynj