Valued Contributor

My pet peeve: People who buy a house in the upper 70s or 120s and then put trash cans in front of it. Do they even care how that looks. Some even have up to 3 cans in front. People: Don't do that!

Super Contributor

"People collector" neighbors that congregate in the street or their driveways and talk at the top of their voices every single time they see each other during the day and that's about 15 times. The yell at each other across the street and act as if they are the welcoming committee for the street. They literally wave down (accost) all passersby, wether walking or in their cars and have loud conversations with them, inquiring about everything from their health to their visitors. It's a very annoying and intrusive ongoing loud conversation that goes on in the background from dawn to dusk. Apparently, they are unaware that voices carry. I know every detail of their lives and haven't spoken to any of them in a year. {#emotions_dlg.mad}

Honored Contributor

Wow!

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.unsure} Lola, I am curious --what are people collectors ? drug dealers? or ?

I live in an urban area and the worst items we find when picking up others trash left curbside/alley are used condoms. Of course caring homeowners and neighborhood associations have a supply of disposable gloves to use while cleaning.

Children are frequently blamed for other various trash but when observed it is the drivers and pedestrians throwing down trash items who are supposedly adults. People never taught to respect themselves and consider community.

Esteemed Contributor

We got new next-door neighbors a couple years ago. We call them The Beverly Hillbillies. Their yard soon became a trash dump and overgrown, so now their kids come into our yard to play and leave their trash behind. Talking to these people doesn't do any good (they're unfriendly, to say the least). I'm constantly asking their kids to get down out of our trees, off of our deck, and stop tramping on my hosta beds. I'm sure they think I'm a witch -- but, do I care?? Every time I go into our back yard, I have to pick up their footballs, toy cars, frisbies, etc, and toss them back into their yard -- where I'm sure they can't see them for the trash and tall weeds.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

My neighbor has a straw plant [looks like a haystack] outside her house... now that she is putting the house up for sale [she is not taking care of her lawn or the plants there] this straw plant [and it is quite large.] is not get cut back it blows all over the place and it is quite a mess. I tried talking to her about it and she would not cut it back or tie it down with something. Went I went out I saw that once again it blew into my flower boxes and also went around the pipes outside. So, I racked it up and dumped the mess on her side. She must of got the message because she cut back the straw plant to almost nothing.Wink Actions speak louder the words.

Honored Contributor

Matty6 it might be an ornamental grass and if it is straw like, it should be cut down or back so that the new green growth can come through.

My pet peeve is the lawn scrapers (landscalpers) strewing powdered lime all over the neighbor's lawn instead of using the pelletized lime which is better in a drop spreader.

Second pet peeve is landscrapers using a rotary spray spreader instead of a drop spreader to apply either crabgrass preventer or fertilizer to a lawn. It goes everywhere including the foundation planting.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor
On 3/17/2015 snickster said:

Aren't people amazing??

Uhhh, yep. My neighbor's trash is always in my front or back yard. If I see, don'tcha think THEY would see it? One of my window wells has no cover. GUESS what's in there? Ahem .. {#emotions_dlg.angry}

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Frequent Contributor

tototwo: Regarding your hillbilly neighbors, have you tried keeping the kids' toys that come into your yard instead of throwing them back? Might be successful, unless you fear retaliation from them.

My pet peeves are dog poop and trash.

Super Contributor
On 3/30/2015 sarpy said:

My pet peeve: People who buy a house in the upper 70s or 120s and then put trash cans in front of it. Do they even care how that looks. Some even have up to 3 cans in front. People: Don't do that!

I want to live where you live! Here, (near Boston), you can't get near a tiny condo for that money! Even small ranches list for $350K+ and that is a fixer upper.

I've been a renter most of my life, did own a home for a few years back in the day. I've had to reconcile that if I want to stay in my area, near family, it is what it is.